Remember Me - Part 2

Steve chose to carry Tessa to the infirmary when they arrived, not wanting to risk Tessa passing out and hitting her head again. Bucky watched quietly as he scooped the woman into his arms, as she wound her arms around his neck and sighed into his chest.

He felt a pang of jealousy that he didn't deserve to feel when Tessa locked eyes with him over Steve's shoulder. Unnoticed by Steve he marched them both away, the connection only broken when Wanda stepped between them.

She stared impassively at the super soldier for a second before giving him a small sad smile, turning to follow her friend into the compound, she knew.

Steve laid Tessa gently on one of the hospital beds, signally for the nurse to come help. she was more awake now, easily conversing with the woman who had come to her aid even requesting certain items for her treatment.

"So you're a doctor?" he asked.

She smiled up at him "Yes that's right" she confirmed "Hydra kept me there to look after their people"

He nodded "How long were you there?"

Tessa shrugged "In that building... I don't know, maybe 6 months. They've moved around a lot since Shield"

"How long have you been with them?" He asked quietly, hoping for a different answer to the one he received.

"Maybe 5 years, I was in Sokovia for at least 1, that's how I know Wanda. I was assigned to keep her and Pietro alive through the experiments"

Wanda appeared next to the bed having overheard the exchange, smiling down at her friend and taking her hand "She kept us sane too, we wouldn't have survived without her"

"Before that were you in Washington?" he probed.

Tessa eyed him warily "Yes, why do you ask?"

Steve shrugged "Just confirming a theory, Wanda come with me we need to get to debriefing, she's in safe hands"

Wanda kissed her friend on the cheek and gave her hand a squeeze "I'll be right back"

Tessa laughed "I'll be right here"

Wanda followed Steve into the hallway where he turned abruptly to face her "What's going on here?" in enquired with a serious look on his face.

Wanda folded her arms over her chest, carefully considering her answer "I'm not sure it's my place to say, you may be better talking to Bucky"

Steve shook his head "He told me on the Jet he didn't know her, but that's not true is it?"

She sighed, he wasn't going to let this go easily "There's history here, between Tessa, Bucky and the Winter Soldier, not all of it good or easy to hear. I honestly don't know what Bucky does or doesn't remember but if you ask me it looked like he recognised her"

Nodding Steve glanced back to the infirmary door "Come on we better get to the debriefing, you know how Stark dislikes to be kept waiting"

An hour later Tessa was all patched up, propped up on the bed with her eyes closed. The nurse had stitched her up and given her something for the pain, all that was left now was to rest and heal. Tessa was thrilled to be away from Hydra but also felt strangely bereft, what was she to do with herself now? Go back to her old life? If it even still existed or maybe try to make a new one? Where did she even begin trying to heal the emotional scars of all that had happened in the last few years.

Wanda entered the infirmary, Tony hot on her heels "Well you look a little better" he declared to no one in particular. Wanda hopped up on the bed next to her friend taking her hand again. She was thrilled to have Tessa back, to have someone in the compound that she knew well and who knew her. The team had welcomed her, but she still felt like an outsider, used to being a twin and coming as a pair she'd never felt lonely before, as she did now.

Tony noted the witches demeanour, she seemed somehow more relaxed, he had no doubt it was due to Tessa's arrival.

Tessa smiled at them both "I don't believe I've thanked you Mr. Stark for saving my life"

"Call me Tony, everyone does, well unless I'm in trouble and then they call me Stark" He considered his comment for a second "Actually I get called Stark a lot now I think about it"

Wanda laughed "That's because you misbehave a lot"

Tony affected a dramatic pose "Who me?"

He grabbed a nearby chair spinning it on it's legs, straddling it backwards and folding his arms across the back in front of him, all business all of a sudden.

"So I have a proposition for you?" he stated winking.

Tessa and Wanda exchanged wary glances.

"No need to look so worried, Steve tells me you're a doctor"

Tessa nodded "Yes I was an ER Doctor when he.. Hydra took me"

"I take it the Winder Soldier was the one they sent to get you, based on your reaction to Bucky on the jet" he commented astutely.

"Close enough" she whispered dropping her eyes to the floor.

"Is it a problem for you?"

Tessa raised her eyes to Tony's face "What?"

"Being in the same building, the same room as him?"

She swallowed "N..No, he's not the Winter Soldier anymore"

Tony chewed on his bottom lip, there was clearly more to this story but he ploughed on regardless "We need a Doctor, our previous quack had to leave suddenly, personal issues or something" Wanda snorted, muttering under her breath "Personal meaning he took it very personally that Nat broke his nose when he tried to feel her up"

Tony cleared his throat giving Wanda a pointed look as she fell silent.

"Well, I doubt that would be a problem for you, well unless you're that way inclined of course... so what do you say?" he said throwing his hands wide.

Tessa was confused "To what?"

Wanda laughed "He's offering you a job, here in the compound"

"Oh" she gasped surprised turning back to Tony "Really?"

He chuckled "Yep, but take all the time you need to heal first, I'll get Wanda to show you to your rooms. If you'd rather get back to your old life however..." "Nope I'll take it" Tessa interrupted.

Tony beamed at them both "Well, done deal then... oh and Doc" he called over his shoulder as he swaggered out of the infirmary "You can feel me up anytime" then with a wink he was gone.

Tessa turned to Wanda open mouthed who just giggled at her confused expression "He's a whirlwind but you get used to him, eventually, I swear"