Apparition Steps

It was the month of September when my life was bombarded with immeasurable diificulties. Some would say those were only ephemeral but both my mind and heart couldn't take it anymore.

I lost the championship in dance sports during the Annual Sports Festival in our region. It was my dream to present in the National level. The day before the competition, I was hit by a motorcycle. My upper body parts weren't injured except for my legs. Those legs were important. The doctor did his very best to heal it in just a limited time. And yet I lost.

It was my last year and after that, I should be focus in my studies. I was a complete loser, a failure. I was devastated.

Christina, my human diary, died in a car accident two weeks before the competetion. I didn't even know if I could get over with it. Her family seemed like they had moved on already and it sucked. How could they pretend as if nothing happened?

My dad was put into jail because he stole a huge amount of money in their company. It was all because of me. He did it just to sustain my needs in dance sports. But I failed him and it was my fault.

Mom was forced to have three jobs just to support her three children including me. She didn't have enough time to be with us because most of her time was spent on working. All because of me.

I turned on the stereo and positioned my feet. Here, no one could see and judge me except the green plants surrounding this circular path. I closed my eyes and listened to the rhythm.

"Rumba," I whispered.

I started counting in my head. I moved my hands and feet but everytime I move my left leg, I'd end up stumbling on the ground.  The pain was still there. The thought that this pain would be permanent was killing me.

I tried once again and this time, I endured the pain. I winced as I felt the pain. I raised my right leg and my other leg was trembling. When I turned, my body was frozen in shame. Someone was there, watching me.

He was wearing white shirt, white short, and white shoes. Literally, he looked like a He was drinking a cup of coffee from a vending machine and he was looking at me, right hand on the cup. I could feel my face heating up and all I cound think was to disappear. I looked down to avoid his look.

He started clapping his hands and I was forced to look at him. His smile was up to his ears. He's making fun of me and I couldn't take it anymore.

"That was lit but it's either you work on your balance or wait until your left leg heals," he said and sipped his coffee.

"How did you know about my leg?" I asked. He narrowed his smile.

"Because I know you and saw you during the Annual Sports Festival," he replied.

I looked down upon hearing him mentioned the Annual Sports Festival which I wanted to forget. If he saw me, he must have witnessed how ugly was my performance. I couldn't bare hear his thoughts about it nor see his expression.

I felt his soft and warm hand on my chin. He lifted it up and I saw his hazel eyes. I happened to read a fun fact about those hazel eyes. People who has this eye color will never surrender in any challenges and has a positive outlook in life. I used to admire those eyes when I was a kid because all of us in our family had ocean-like eyes.

"Don't look down. I saw you did this after the judges announced the winner and I didn't like it. Please, don't do it again," he said seriously. I pushed his hand away from my chin softly and stepped back a little.

"Thanks."

It took me a few seconds before I could say a word. He threw the empty cup in the trash bin like a basketball player and luckily, it landed straight into the bin.