Chapter Three

Optimus stiffened when I mentioned 'Prime' and was immediately curious, wondering if others like himself were still alive, so I answered truthfully, "I don't rightly know if Override was a Prime, or if she is even still online, I said she was Prime-like, and she was. She was decisive, self-assured, and compassionate, as well as possessing the typical Velocitronian arrogance and daring.

"I had heard rumors of a Nitro Prime, and Override seemed to fit the bill, but as it stands they are still just rumors." Optimus seemed a little disappointed but decided to drop the conversation, for now, returning to his all-business attitude.

"On this planet, it is necessary for us to maintain a low profile as robots in disguise, to avoid complications with the general human population, and to hide from those who actively seek to destroy us. To that end, you must select an Earth-based vehicle mode and learn the rules of the road, Jack will accompany you as your tutor"

It wasn't long before Jack led me to a ledge overlooking the highway, it was easy for me to hide among the rocks with my small frame. We sat watching for a good ten minutes before something caught my attention, a small cerulean sports car was gracefully weaving through traffic, not super fast but swift and balanced. 

I scanned it and my brightly-colored smooth plating changed to a strong blue, the velocitronian translucent red tire compound was replaced by simple air-filled pads with elaborate tread and heavy centers, my chest plate broke up into many pieces, ...

I scanned it and my brightly-colored smooth plating changed to a strong blue, the velocitronian translucent red tire compound was replaced by simple air-filled pads with elaborate tread and heavy centers, my chest plate broke up into many pieces, the most prominent of which were occupied by large taillight clusters, and my sides were now cooling grilles covered by glass, which thankfully was far more durable than any glass humans could have made.

"Ok now what?" I asked, Jack looked over to me, "Now we get down from this rock, then we can drive around town as I teach you about Earth's road safety laws." I nodded 'This will be interesting' I thought. 

I picked up Jack and placed him on my shoulder before slowly climbing down from our perch on the plateau, but since I was so small compared to the other bots there was hardly any room for him to sit, so he held on to one of the ridges on my helm for additional support. 

When we neared the bottom I let myself drop the short distance to the ground. Startled, Jack accidentally grabbed one of my antennas and bent it out of shape. I hissed in pain as he hastily tried to fix it before I reached up and fixed it myself. Without another word I transformed and caught Jack in the driver seat before closing the roof over him.

I was a bit upset but I couldn't stay mad for long, I was far overdue for a proper leisurely drive, 3 centuries of stasis followed by so many hours of nothing had left me a bit stir crazy, "Jack, do you know any place I could let off some steam before we start the lessons?" Jack was quiet for a moment as he thought, "Yeah, speeding isn't illegal on the salt flats it's just big empty space, the ground's a bit rough though, do you think you can handle it?"

I chuckled, "What do you take me for, an amateur?" Jack made a humming sound, the tone of his voice clearly doubtful, "Wheeljack said the exact same thing when first testing his vehicle mode, then immediately got high-centered" I snorted at the thought, when we reached the salt flats I gunned it across the wavy terrain, enjoying the various sensations that came with being in vehicle mode, many were new to me, I had never possessed a form with such mechanical complexity before, the many dozens of intricate moving parts provided a rather unnerving feeling that I quickly blocked from my processor lest it prove too distracting.