The New Client

Walking into the precinct was a large muscular man with a chiselled face and broad shoulders, his brown locks sat perfectly above his blue eyes, his pink thin lips pursed, the only small part of the mans body. He wore plain black trainers with no logo, a pair of dark grey jeans ripped at the knee and a black leather jacket covered a plain black T-shirt. Sunglasses covered the mans eyes despite it being the dead of night. Boon's wrists began to irritate him as the feel of the handcuffs grew increasingly more uncomfortable. The man walked with a sense of bravado through the precinct, a sort of strut that oozed confidence and cockiness, the type of walk a proud criminal would take as he was being escorted to his cell.

As Boon was escorted into a room with a two way mirror looking into the interview room he sat down on the hard black steel chair. Looking through the glass Boon saw a beautiful boy no more than fourteen years old, Boon couldn't help but be reminded of himself at that age as he stared into the boys piercing eyes, the kids mom had just died and the only thing displayed on that innocent face was impatience, not sadness and despair but an eagerness to leave the pigs office . The pissed off expression Nathan portrayed amused Boon as well as worried him as he contemplated what the hell could of been done to the boy for him not to feel an ounce of sadness for his mother's death.

Holding up his handcuffs Boon expressed his displeasure with detective Bates "Are these really necessary,"
"You're meant to be the bad guy remember, now stay here I got to deal with this kid, we'll talk later,"

"What's going to happen to the kid Bates,"
"We're calling social services now, they should be hear any minute,"
"Is that really necessary." A look of uncertainty crossed Boon's face. "Nothing else we can do, the boy won't give us an address for his father. Doubt he even has one, if he does he won't speak of him."
Boon rubbed the unkempt stubble forming on his defined chin feeling sorry for the boy, he knows how harsh the foster system can be, from his own pained experience. Boon took out the flask of whiskey hidden in his jacket and took a long swig drowning those thoughts. It was unclear to the man why he was so bothered by this one boy when it wasn't his business to get involved in, in the first place. Not that he was getting involved, just passing through like always.

The door to the interview room was flung open and the boy came and sat on the bench opposite Boon his expression even more pissed off than before, the pair exchanged passing glances towards each other, Boon still in handcuffs. Suddenly the doors at the end of the corridor were flung open rather forcefully by a woman in a pink woven blouse and black leggings, an outfit that did not fit the lady's size as evidenced by the buttons looking ready to pop at a single exhale. As the social worker began walking down the corridor clipboard in hand, Boon knew for sure that if the lady took Nathan that innocent childlike look would vanish and in its place will stand an empty shell of a boy, Boon was not to know that Nathan was already that empty shell. As Nathan too gazed eyes upon the women walk-in towards him he knew instantly were he was going, despite his protests to the detective he had not listened, but who would listen to a worthless whore with no dad. Nathan had had enough. Yes, his mother had died despite him asking her not to inject the heroin, of course he felt a sense of guilt for buying the drugs but it was overshadowed and clouded by the years of abuse he suffered at her hands and the hands of her slimy boyfriends and lovers. But he wasn't about to be thrown into another broken home where he can just be abused all over again. Nathan quickly motivated by the fear of going to a home, jumped out of his seat and ran right past the woman knocking her off her feet, the shock and bewilderment on her face was priceless, Boon made no attempt at stopping the boy instead choosing to sit and watch the officers scramble about trying to grab the boy before he escapes but Nathan being too quick and small burst through the doors and sprinted into the darkness, Boon silently chuckled to himself a smile appearing on his face.

When the moon was at its peak Boon made it to the car park, after leaving the precinct, Boon opens up the black Chevrolet Equinox, two briefcases lay in the boot, exactly where the contact said they'd be. After transferring the briefcases to his car Boon shuts the boot, but before beginning to climb back in he becomes aware of a presence behind him. A group of teenagers surround his car placing an eight pack of beers on the hood. "You lost mate."
Boon's teeth grind as the boy keys his car "I think I might have scratched it,"
"Hope not." As the boy faces up to Boon a smile clearly displayed on his face Boon takes great pride in wiping it off with a clear punch connecting mouth to fist. The teen falls instantly to the floor, knocked clean out and blood gushing from his nose. The rest of the group scatter as Boon shoots them a deathly glare. This is his neighbourhood, the dark depressing dilapidated part of town he grew up in, he's so familiar in. Finally getting in his car he drives away toward the freeway.

After a while driving Boon calls in at a cafe on the side of the road, tired and hungry he sits at a booth unaware of a young boy no older than fourteen sitting in the corresponding booth. Nathan was tired of walking along the road hoping it would take him somewhere interesting away from his rotten life when he decided to stop and rest at a cafe. After a while he sees a man walk in, the same man from the precinct. Nathan wonders what he was doing there and why he is out so soon, with no money on him he sees the man order a burger and fries and a milkshake, a strawberry one and decides to go over and sit with the criminal in the hopes of earning some fast cash, hopefully he'll be gentle.

Boon settles into his burger only to be interrupted by someone sitting opposite him, while swallowing a bit of cheese lingering on his lips he looks up and is startled by the same boy from the precinct. "You-you gonna drink that,"
"Why'd you think I bought it kid." Nathan's look of disappointment tugged on the heartstrings of Boon, or what little ones he has left and slowly pushes the milkshake towards Nathan seeing his face light up at the sight. After he downs the milkshake in one go creamy filled topping all over his mouth Nathan grabs the sachets of salt and begins eating them one by one, Boon looks on in amazement at how hungry this child must be, "you heading west." Nathan asks with a mouth full of salt and cream "East,"
"When you pulled in you were heading west." Boon smiles at the kid getting up and pulling out a wad of cash placing it on the table and pushing what's left of his burger and fries toward Nathan before leaving out the door. Nathan amazed gets up and eagerly follows.

Boon stands at the payphone realising he doesn't have any paper "what's the number...." Boon uses the dust from his car to engrave the number, "no not tomorrow give me a couple of days...cause I got something to do that's why...no, look. Why would I fuck you over...Exactly." Hanging up the phone Boon sees the number rubbed off his car, even more pissed than he was he goes over to Nathan leaning against it, a smug look on his face, Boon grabs him by his jacket and lifts him in the air "I need that number kid,"
"You got a pretty shitty memory,"
"Let's hope you don't,"
"What you gotta trade for it." Boon's face is right up against Nathan his cold breath brushing against Nathan's cheek as he holds back the urge to kick the shit out of the boy despite feeling a sense of pride for the balls this kids got.
"Your life,"
"Your not the type,"
"How do you know." Boon finally puts Nathan down after being phased by the boy's apparent fearlessness and utter stupidity. Nathan climbs into the car "So are we going then, your gonna want to take me along with you if you want that number." Boon completely irate with anger reluctantly gets into the car and drives away passenger in tow. What Boon didn't notice was Nathan releasing a held breath after being put down. He may put on a strong face but when a potential client can pick you up without breaking a sweat it's understandable that Nathan was terrified within. He can't help but wonder if he made a mistake messing with this guy and if he'll come to regret it later on.