1 ~ Unfortunate

“Rose come on!”

I snapped up and faced my best friend, Ashleigh who stared at me impatiently whilst clipping on her rollerblades.

“The Ramps? Remember we promised your brother we’d meet them there!” she reminded promptly and stood up, placing her tanned hands on her hips.

“Right,” I said quickly and latched my rollerblades to my feet. “Let’s go!”

She pulled me up as we skated out of my garage.

With a press of a button in my pocket, the large door came sliding down and we whizzed off.

Loving the feeling of the wind in my hair, I bolted off with Ashleigh hot on my heels, a burst of speed replenishing the burst of adrenaline through my veins.

Neighbours walking dogs cursed at us as we whizzed past but they were used to our antics.

For the past five years, since we were eight we’ve started skating around the block and it hasn’t gotten much different.

With another push of my foot, we darted across the pedestrian crossing, narrowly avoiding little children.

“Ash! First one to the Ramps wins a treat!” I yelled and pushed off harder, my arms pushing at the thin air for unnecessary effects.

I heard her heavy breathing as we whizzed past the café, passed the beach and straight across the road towards the Skaters Slalom which was commonly called The Ramps.

Once we got there, we skidded to a halt and it was impossible to tell who came first.

“I win! No you don’t!” we yelled and laughed, panting and gasping for breath, clutching onto each other for support. “Fine nobody gets the prize!”

Taking off our helmets, we slung them on our arms and linked them together, skating slowly towards the tic-tacking skateboarders.

And as usual, we were the only two rollerbladers in the whole place.

“Cale!” I called, waving to my brother who stood at the top of a tall ramp.

He saluted once and high-fived his best friend, Felix once before they dipped down gracefully on the half-pipe.

They bent down and with ease they completed it, landing easily with their boards in their hands.

With another high five, they slid down the ramp, skidding on slippery sneakers before jumping off and landed in front of us.

“Girlies,” Felix said with a wink.

Ashleigh smacked his shoulder and flicked her pale blonde hair over her shoulder.

“Not bad,” we said, exchanging grins.

“Think you can do better girls?” Cale asked, arching a thin dark eyebrow.

His warm brown eyes twinkled challengingly and he held out a hand.

Felix did the same and Ashleigh and I took their hands to seal the deal.

“We will show much more skill than you do,” Ashleigh boasted and we high-fived each other.

“Derek can be the judge of that,” Felix said with a smirk and ran into the café near the skateboard hiring. Or at least that’s what I thought it was.

He came back out, running a hand through his dark brownish auburn hair confidently with a taller and older looking boy with him.

“Rek!” I said, hugging my cousin.