Six

If one were to look outside, it would be impossible to believe it was the hour of cockcrow. Lightning flashed over the crashes of thunder, and the wind that howled all through the night only continued. For morning had arrived, bringing nothing but more thunderous clouds and torrential rainfall with it.

The storm had been the reason for Olivier's sleepless night, causing him to endlessly toss and turn. And judging by the dark circles around their eyes, he knew the other monks had not slept well either. Some were even beginning to doze off while they prayed. Others had to keep their bloodshot eyes opened just to avoid doing so.

Lowering himself to his knees, Olivier shut his heavy eyelids and began his prayer.

"Father, I pray for your protection from this storm. Please keep us safe while this storm ravages through. Place us under your-"

Olivier's eyes fluttered open. The air around him had grown thick, raising the hairs on the back of his neck.

There was someone behind him.

He quickly spun around, finding himself face-to-face with a group of scowling monks.

"What do you want?" He tried to mask his uneasiness with an unwavering tone.

"Are you in league with that woman?" Quincy demanded.

"What-"

"Do not try to deny it. We saw how you looked at her. Has she bewitched you?" Antonine stepped forward.

"Of-Of course not!" Olivier cried, starting to back away from the men.

"You were the one who let her in." Simon's stare burned into Olivier. "You let that witch in! And now, she has brought this storm on us!"

"The storm came before her! Do you forget that in your old age?" Olivier retorted, rising to his feet in defiance.

"Do you forget where you have come from, Olivier?" Quincy challenged.

The boy snapped his head towards him. "What do you mean?"

A wicked smile came to rest atop Quincy's lips. "You were brought here the night an orange moon hung in the sky."

Olivier's frown only deepened as he watched the man's smirk widen. "What of it?"

"That was the same night the village was attacked."

Olivier's eyes shifted between the three of them. "What- What are you trying to say?"

"Your arrival here was an omen, marked by death and destruction-" Simon started to say before Olivier suddenly pushed past him, dashing out of the church and towards the only place he felt welcomed.

To the only person he believed understood him.

Arielle must have heard him coming since she was already waiting by the window when he arrived.

"Olivier?" Her voice was as soft as ever. "What is wrong? You look upset."

He came to a stop, trying to catch his breath. "Those- Those monks! They were telling me terrible things! Telling me how I-I bring misfortune and evil! Telling me how I was enchanted by you! A witch!"

Arielle blinked. "They believe I am a witch?"

Olivier nodded furiously, hoping he had not insulted her.

But instead of growing offended, she broke into a hearty laugh, startling the boy. "How ridiculous! If I were a witch, would I not have freed myself from this cell?"

"I think it is nonsense too," he agreed, giving a nervous chuckle.

"But why would they believe you bring ill-fortune?" She tilted her head, eyeing him curiously.

"They said I was brought here under the light of an orange moon..." Olivier hesitated, wondering if he should mention the village. Might Arielle also believe he was a curse? He thought she wouldn't. That she would not blame him for what happened while he was an infant. But the possibility she might turn on him like the monks nagged at him, making his words trail off.

He inhaled a deep breath before continuing. "The same night the village was attacked by- by some beast."

Arielle did not even flinch. "I know of this attack."

"You do?!" Olivier gasped, taking an involuntary step backward.

She disappeared from the window, bending down to take something out from underneath her dress. In a few seconds, she came back into view with something dangling between her fingers. For in her hand was an open locket hanging by a golden chain.

Olivier drew closer, trying to see the portraits within the locket. "Is that you?" He pointed to the left side.

She glanced down at it. "Yes."

"You look very young," he noted, seeing how childlike her appearance was. Even more childlike than it appeared now. She must have been younger than him when this was painted.

"Yes, I was," she chuckled, looking to the other side where a portrait of a young man stood upright. "This was my brother."

Olivier's eyes followed hers. "You two look similar. You have the same brown hair."

"I never thought so," she admitted with a sigh. "He was blessed with the most luscious curls and eyes the color of the sky."

Olivier did not fail to notice Arielle had spoken of her brother in the past tense. "What- What happened to him?"

"He was killed. In that attack the monks spoke of." She closed the locket with an audible click.

"I am very sorry," he whispered, lowering his gaze.

Tears filled her doelike eyes, spilling onto her cheeks. "It truly is a terrible thing to be the last of your family."

Olivier glanced back up, reaching his hand out through the bars. He didn't even realize what he was doing, and if he had, he would have instantly drawn it back. "I know that feeling better than anyone. I have known it all my life."

"I am the last of my family too." Their skin had just made contact when Olivier was snatched from behind, crying out as his hand was pulled from hers.

"Stay back from him, you demon!" Father Samuel shouted, holding the boy under his arm.

"Stop! She is no demon!" Olivier writhed desperately in his grasp. But the man was just too strong and his grip too tight.

"She has filled your mind with untruths!" Father Samuel staggered back from the door, pointing something at the wide-eyed woman. "I heard everything! This-This foul creature has been telling you falsehoods!"

Olivier turned his head, growing still at the sight of the gun in the man's hand. "N-No... Father-"

"This woman, if you can call her that, is an evil beast." Father Samuel was no longer staring at Arielle, but at Olivier. There was a wild gleam in his eyes, looking as if he were barely able to restrain himself from descending into complete madness.

Father Samuel's voice dropped to a whisper, losing the frantic tone he had only seconds ago.

"She is the reason you have no family."