Familiar Faces

It had been thirteen years since the night the Winchesters packed up whatever belongings that survived the murderous fire and ditched town. You never forgot about them, nor when their mother tragically died so many years ago. Sometimes you thought that you could still smell the fire burning Mary's flesh.  

You, too, had left town a few months after the Winchester boys. Your mother told you that you needed a fresh start every time you asked why she had decided to depart, but a part of you wouldn't accept the seemingly trustworthy statement.  

It was a brisk October morning when your gaze as met by a pair of green eyes that were all too familiar, but so different compared to the last time you saw them. You were standing at your locker, complaining to a few of your friends about a history test that you were certain that you'd fail. Your friend was about to interject and tell you how you were "going to totally nail that test" when she stopped mid-sentence to gawk at a tall boy passing by. You rolled your eyes and when they settled, the boy's stare connected with yours and he smiled. You found it odd, nobody would intentionally smile at such an early time. But then you realized that he was someone you knew. You couldn't put your finger on who it was. You found difficulty in putting the pieces together to make a name for this boy. It wasn't until he had broken the somewhat awkward eye contact and you snapped back into reality when you heard the name being whispered among your friends.

"Winchester"

That was when you remembered the small boy who would always be the hero in your games, the one that seemed so polite for his age, the one that loved his mother dearly and wore a ridiculous "I wuv hugs" shirt because she liked when he wore it. It was Dean. 

He remained in your mind all day, distracting you from learning anything. You looked for him at lunch, but were disappointed when you concluded that he had a different lunch. You needed to talk to him, you weren't sure why. It just felt like you were magnets and you were yearning to connect with, as you would find out later on in life, your other half. School seemed to go by even slower than usual, as if it were in slow motion. It wasn't until your final class ended and you were in the parking lot, walking to your car when you saw Dean walking with an extremely short boy to a vintage Impala that you found your chance to converse with him.

"Dean!" you called after him and began to walk towards the two. He spun around and smirked when he noticed you as the girl from the hallway. When you finally reached them, the smaller boy awkwardly shifted his weight between feet and Dean licked his lips.

"What can I do for ya?" It wasn't until then that you didn't know what to say. You never though it over in your mind and you internally cursed yourself for acting on instinct.

"I'm (Y/N), we used to be neighbors way back when," Dean scanned over you, before a wave of realization swept over his face and he grinned from ear to ear,"Oh, yeah! (Y/N) (L/N), I remember you." the smaller boy furrowed his brows and slightly cocked his head to the side, trying to figure out who you were. Dean noticed and his smile faltered for a second.

"You wouldn't remember her, Sammy. You were only a few months old then," Dean explained. Sam nodded his head in understanding.

"You're Sam?" you asked in disbelief, though you probably could've put two and two together to find out that he was baby Sammy.

"Yeah,"

"Wow it really has been a long time since I've seen you guys," Dean nodded in agreement before checking the time on his watch. He said that they should probably get going soon and promised that you would catch up soon before they climbed into the shiny, black car and drove off down the asphalt.

You eventually did catch up with Dean and Sam. Dean asked you about your mom and what you wanted to do with your life. You asked Dean and Sam about how they've been and what they've been up to, how their father was and why they moved to your small town.  The two brothers answered in short, vague sentences. You though it was strange, but didn't dwindle on it for too long.

By the end of the week, the name "Winchester" was in everybody's mouth. It started out as girls talking about Dean and how he was one of those mysterious hotties that you'd see in a cheesy movie. But after Sam had kicked the notorious Dirk's ass, the school wouldn't shut up about him. They'd say how he had some major balls to do what he did. Sam's name was a chant sung by almost the entire school's population, whereas Dean's had faded to a whisper rolling off the  tongues of a girl that he had cheated on.

Eventually, the Winchesters did what they do best and abandoned the town without so much as a warning. You didn't have much time to get closer with them, and you wish you did because now you were certain that Dean wouldn't ever leave the depths of your mind.