chapter sixteen

We left when the sun was setting, and we reached the cottage when it was dark. We hid behind the trees, examining the cottage for any sign of Audrey being there. No lights were on and we couldn't hear anything. Slowly our group crept forward. Ben and Mal going towards the gate and we waited by the bushes. They called us over and Harry held my hand as we tiptoed. We all crept up to the front door. Ben held his hand up counting to three with his fingers. Harry look confused and looked down at his own hands trying to count. When Ben held up three, he stormed in, throwing the cottage door open.

We all followed him inside but instead of being greeted by an villainous Audrey there was nothing but a cosy decorated cottage, I questioned to as why Aurora even went back to the castle it was peaceful here. Jay dashed upstairs to check but soon came back down.

"She's not upstairs." He announced. I sighed and wandered around the cabin to look for a clue, when a banging came from a cupboard just behind Ben. We all paused, watching as Ben peered into through the small window. He lifted up the wooden bar, revealing Chad when the door was opened. He was curled up and his arms wrapped his legs. He looked terrified.

"Chad?" Ben questioned and a scared Chad look up at the king.

"I want my mommy." Chad mumbled. I sniggered slightly as Ben tried to reach down to help him and Chad flinched. Ben attempted to help again and pulled Chad to his feet. Chad stared at him as he stood.

"What happened buddy?" Ben said. Chad looked around at us scared, standing straighter when he recognised us.

"Ben?" He asked. "Ben!" Chad latched on to Ben's jacket, making Ben the scared one. Chad turned to us. "She's gone right? The doors open. I'm free." He said. "FREEDOM!" He shouted running away.

"She really did a number on him." I said. I saw Harry laugh and I rolled my eyes at him before following everyone else out the cottage. I put my hand on Celia's shoulder and guided her out.

"You know, I'm kinda sad you guys made up. I was getting a load of money from him." She teased. I laughed at her.

"I'm sure you'll find some other fool to play, Celia." I replied. She winked at me and skipped ahead. Harry caught up and grabbed my hand as we began to walk again.

"Alright, let's get this Audrey chick taken care of already." Uma said. I gave her a little laugh as I swung me and Harry's hands slightly. "What do you say girl time, to wrap things up?" Uma asked Mal as they bumped fists. I looked at Harry with furrowed eyebrows and he shrugged at me.

"You know someday you guys are going to have to tell me how you all got teamed up." Ben spoke as he put his arm around Mal's shoulders.

"Actually, Mal promised to let all the kids off the isle once this is over." Evie answered Ben.

"I have to tell you guys something." Mal butted in. We all stopped and Mal carried on walking a few steps before turning to face us all, for a moment every single one of us was smiling. "I lied. The kids won't be coming off the Isle."

My face dropped and I looked up at Harry, who held my hand tighter. His face was the same, he glanced at me. His eyes were watering, he was scared.

"What do you mean?" Jay asked.

"The program is shut down and the barrier will be closed for good."

"No." I whispered.

"For Auradon's safety." Ben added. Harry let go of my hand and he clutched the end of his hook in anger along with an angry smile of disbelief.

"Hold up." Uma stepped towards Mal. "So we're saving your precious people, and your behinds, for a lie?" Uma's voice was surprisingly calm, and Uma was never calm when it came to the people of the Isle. She was hurt, hurting more than when Mal had poured the bucket over her head that day and named her Shrimpy. "I knew it was a mistake to trust you." Uma shook her head. Harry finally lost it and walked towards Ben.

"And ye King Ben," He started off loud but towards the end his voice broke. "Yer probably gonna just throw us all back inside." I watched his face crumble. I was frozen, my own blood family had lied to my face. She had seen me truly happy for the first time in a year, all the while knowing that it was only temporary. She was just going to put him back there. She was going to leave all those kids that had dreams, just like me.

Celia stepped forward next.

"You know what? I actually thought you were brave." Celia's voice began to break. "But you're nothing but a chicken. Too scared to tell me I was never going to see my dad again."

"Celia." Mal began to speak but the young Voodoo princess took the ember from Mal's hand as went straight for the nearby bird bath. "Celia don't!" Mal called as the ember fell into the water, it sparked and steamed. Mal rushed forward to dig it out of the water. When she did the light was gone, it just a blue gem. Celia was gone.

"Regain your might and ignite." Mal tried to spell it but it did nothing. She turned around to Uma, holding out the ember for help. Uma lifted up her necklace, that wasn't glowing, and shrugged. Harry walked up to stand by his captain.

"Bummer." She said. Mal's face was broken, just like all of ours. "Let's go find Gil and leave them all to rot." Uma told Harry. The pair of them went to walk off but I ran toward Harry catching his arm.

"Wait." My voice cracked. Harry turned to look at me and Uma stopped as well. "Last question, can I come with you?" Harry glanced at Uma who nodded. Harry looked back at me, taking my hand in his.

"Let's go, Darlin'." I nodded and Harry pulled me along to reach Uma.

"Hanna!" Mal called. I sighed, stopping again. "Don't go."

I was unable to control my flames. I was so angry. I was furious. My hair lit up and Harry had to step back from the heat. as I stormed back towards my sister. We stood face to face. My hair crackling.

"Don't go?" I mimicked. "Are you kidding? You lied to me!" Mal's eyes were tearing up.

"I'm sorry." She sniffed.

"No, you're not. You watched me let myself love him again, after everything. And what you were going throw him back? You really are truly the mistress of all evil. How proud would momma be huh?" I snapped. I glanced down at the ember and snatched it from her hand. "And this? This is mine." I held up the ember and my hair spread out further. Mal went to open her mouth. I shook my head. "I don't want to hear it." I turned on my heel and went back to Harry. He smiled at me, holding out his hand.

I toned down my hair to a small flame from just seeing his smile and took his hand in mine. Uma, Harry and I began to walk off.

"Hanna!" Mal called. "HANNA! Please come back! Please!"