Chapter Two: A Could-Be-Better Version of "Roll Over Beethoven"

August 1, 1961

I walked around sticking to Paul the rest of the day because my classes with George split after first period. Since Paul and I were in the same grade, though, we had mostly the same classes and whatnot, so it worked. We met back with George at lunch.

"So, Londoner, how's your day been?" George was lying on the ground under a tree, picking at a sandwich. He had a guitar lying next to him in a case.

"Well, I guess it's been alright."

"I've been showing her around, so I think she just doesn't want to admit that it was the best first day ever," Paul added smugly.

"Whatever you say." I looked at the guitar next to Paul and George. "Won't you play me something?"

He cocked an eyebrow and finished off his sandwich. "Well, sure."

Paul reached beside him to unzip the case. Pulling out the slightly-battered instrument, he plucked each string individually. "Ye have a favorite, Donna?"

"I-uh-I don't know."

"What about-." He began to pick out a could-be-better version of "Roll Over Beethoven."

George cringed and I snickered.

"Give me that," George said, reaching for the guitar. Paul stood up and George followed, jumping in circles as Paul held the wooden mechanism over his head. I watched them skeptically as Paul laughed and George scowled, his eyebrows almost becoming one.

George stopped and frowned. "C'mon, please?"

Paul rolled his eyes and lowered the guitar. George smirked and took it.

"Fine," Paul reasoned. "You play and I'll sing." He smirked at a frowning George.

"Fine."

"Fine."

They sounded like five-year-olds.

They seated themselves back on the ground. George began to pick out a better version of "Roll Over Beethoven."

Paul began to sing and they both laughed and jammed along together. It was funny to watch them having so much fun, not sure what it could turn into.

They concluded the piece and looked at me. I clapped, laughing.

"Whatcha think of that, love?" Paul smirked.

I rolled my eyes. "It was good."

"How about ye come out to the Cavern Club tonight? We're performing."

"I'd be delighted."

George shoved Paul in the shoulder and he winced. "What do you bloody want?"

George shook his head. Paul raised his eyebrows. I was just confused.

"So you'll be there?" Paul then asked.

"I'll make an effort," I assured the two boys.

"That's lovely. You can meet the rest of the band. I'm sure John would just love you."

"You think?"

"Yeah, why not. You're rather pretty so probably, y'know."

I raised my eyebrows. "Is that all he looks for in a friend? I can tell he saw that with you." I looked him up and down and he turned pink.

"I—uh—I think John would like you too, Donna," George added, skirting an awkward silence.

"Mhm, I'm sure you do." I nodded.