Chapter 28: Cheaters and Memories

Part of the forest that the Straw Hats were in at that moment was mostly destroyed. They were all gasping for breath and Zoro—in anger—hacked down several trees in a way to vent some of his frustration.

"Would you knock it off?" Nami asked him in deep annoyance as he continued to go on his mini-rampage. "Destroying trees won't bring it back will it?"

"Why not?" he demanded darkly, "Maybe if we destroy this whole island it'll come back out?"

"For once, I'd agree," Sanji hissed as he caught his breath and sat down on one of the tree stumps. "I'm getting sick of all this! If that thing wants to fight us, why not come out and face us already instead of running away!?"

*Flashback*

"Yohohoho, I have never heard such a more beautiful sound!" Brook said dreamily as the memories of them riding down the inflatable octopus disappeared and they ended up in the middle of a thick forest. "Such a ringing sound almost makes me embarrassed by my own music!"

"Nothing can compare to it," Robin agreed. "I'm glad that some parts of the City of Shandora managed to survive despite everything that happened. The bell was truly the heart of the ancient city, so as long as the bell survives, I don't think the city will ever truly be gone."

"That's good," Sanji muttered. "Though I'm sorry I missed most of the action. Damn that Eneru..."

"At least he was taken care of," Zoro reminded him.

"So long as we never see him again is all I want," Usopp said firmly. But no sooner were the words out of his mouth did Zoro and Sanji both spin around, ready for a fight.

"For crying out loud! Would you stop hiding and fight like a man?!" Zoro yelled, pulling two swords out this time, and his temper now sky-high. "I'm sick of this stupid game!"

"What are you talking about?" Franky asked before his eyes widen in realization.

"You mean...?!" Chopper cried out anxiously, but before he could finish his question, light flashed once again as the ball of slime reappeared. Sitting cross-legged on a slime version of the Surprise Cloud... was a familiar face... one that they weren't overjoyed to see. Yet at the same time, none of them were surprised to see him.

"Heso..." the slime Eneru said to them, the staff over his shoulder and the arrogant smile on his face.

*End of Flashback*

"I'm so sick 'n tired of this stupid thing," Franky growled out, picking up a rock with his metal hands and crushing it to dust. "How the hell are we supposed to get that thing back to the ruins when we don't have the slightest idea where the ruins are anymore?"

"I know the direction," Robin answered, her eyes closed, as she used her powers to see across the island. "I know how to get there... the problem is to lure that thing in..."

"Like catching fish with a hook and line," Usopp sighed as Chopper put a salve on Usopp's burnt hand. "And is it me, or did that slime have some real power?"

"This thing is getting more dangerous," Zoro answered once he had calmed down and sat on another tree stump. "No lightning... but it was able to heat up that staff. What were you thinking grabbing hold of it?"

"That freak was trying to break my neck with it!" Usopp retorted, "I had no choice! I didn't think that it would burn me!"

"This is just sad," Sanji muttered bitterly, "It's like back in the old days when we couldn't fight those stupid Logia types. What was the point in mastering Haki if we can't fight against one slimeball?"

"I think we can agree that thing's not of this world," Robin muttered with a sigh as she stared off in the direction that the slime disappeared to. "If this island is connected to the land of the dead..." her eyes suddenly widen in shock as if she just realized something.