Chapter 13

My knuckles are turning white from gripping the steering wheel. I think I might leave a dent from the pressure. Sophia sits next to me in the passenger seat, I can feel the burn of her gaze roaming from my hand to my face, she stops on my eyes before moving back to my fingers.

She sighs out. “There is no point in getting angry at the wheel, it didn’t do nothing.” I grind my molars instead while moving my hand to rest at nine instead of twelve. I know who I will be getting angry at later when I get back into the pack lands. Shits about to really hit the fan.  Reaching over and grips her fingers into my jaw in an attempt to separate my teeth. “Stop that.” Her eyes bore into mine sternly. I do as I’m told, letting the feel of her hand soothe down my ruffled fur. Exhaling out the frustration leaning in closer she scratches my jawline through my beard . Does she realize what she is doing right now?

“Look at this way, she won’t be back there. Ever.” She is just as frustrated as I am.

After Kirsten made a scene to the operator of the sanctuary Sophia had to defuse the situation. She admitted to giving a redundant task out due to her initial annoyance and feeling disrespected; while childish, she could have done far worse. She had finished all the paperwork the week before when she was in the enclosures checking the data and reorganizing it into folders. It never needed to be checked. Now she has to reorganize it because of it being out of order from the wind and upgrading all the paperwork to computers. 

Apparently, Sophia and technology don’t mix. 

The cherry on the cake, no one is allowed in that clinic unless it is an emergency. No help. No chatting. No anything including no Wayne or myself, especially me. Kirsten was also told to vacate the premises for being there under false pretences and isn’t allowed back, but she got what she wanted, a divide between Sophia and I.

Scott will be engaging in this situation whether he wants to or not. He can avoid me all week but he will not be ignoring this. The unrest between leadership will trickle down the pack and bring chaos, all over some nonsense and females.

She fidgets with her fingers when she finally pulls her hand away. “I’m sorry about this Sophia, really I am. If I had known she would have been there or would cause trouble.” Trailing off, I feel horrible to make her isolated at her own work.

“It’s not your fault Hotshot. I just don’t understand what her problem was to begin with she doesn’t even want you. Why do all this for a guy you don’t even like.” Sophia’s eyebrows knit together as she goes deeper into her thoughts.

I’m confused.

“What?” I ask her.

She looks over at me before snorting. “You don’t honestly believe she likes you?” She asks. Pausing for a moment she sucks in a small breath “Do you like her?” Her voice gets softer, almost worried.

“No,” I tell her firmly. “How do you know she doesn’t like me?” I want to know how she came to this conclusion after everything that has happened today.

“Well, ” she starts. “At first I thought she was laying it on thick fluttering her fake lashes, but when you were rude to her,” Sophia mocks me with a fake cough. She knows that wasn’t real and I can feel the heat on my face from being caught. Giggling she continues, “at that point, I thought she’s either incredibly stupid or she has a bone to pick. Since I have never met her I thought it had to be with you. Maybe she thought making me jealous would make you mad, I don’t know. Anyways the clinic has cameras, having that medication out in the middle of nowhere with little security its been robbed before. I told Kenneth that the wind wasn’t my intention, as hilarious as it was, so he checked the footage. She was texting someone the whole time, she would giggle and smile before looking around and typing back. It was weird she took so long to get through something that was already done, now I know why. Girls don’t act like that unless they are giddy high schoolers or they are getting messages from someone they like.” She finishes before checking her own phone with a smile.