Chapter 26

Maya

I didn't know why I had come here. Of all the places, I could have gone. To the river, the cabin, the waterfall, but no I came here. Then again this was the last place anybody would look for me. Anybody, but . . .

"Oh, hello," Wolfe smiled at me as he reached the bottom of the stairs.

I sighed looking up from my hands in my lap, to him. He stayed at the bottom of the stairs still a couple of feet away from me, and I was kind of thankful for that. I don't know why I thought I would be able to escape from even Wolfe . . . if I was in Wolfe's bedroom.

Maybe it was because I didn't want to escape from Wolfe, "I'm hiding," I explained with a small smile, my eyes falling back to my hands.

"Everything not going according to plan?" He leaned against the doorway of the stairs.

I just shook my head, "You tell me, do you think that shamble of a dinner was according to my plan?" I asked seriously.

"No, but could you honestly expect any better from my brother?" Wolfe shook his head as well.

For some reason that set off a little bit of the anger I had calmed down from dinner, "It's not his fault," I snapped at Wolfe.

"Really?" Wolfe pushed off the wall and stepped towards me. "He is the one that has dug himself this hole. If your brothers disapprove of him, it is his own fault for being an ass," Wolfe shrugged.

"No," I pushed off the bed standing up to him, "Hunter has changed," I grumbled, "He is different than he was when my father left. He is different from the first day that I met him . . . and even though he still pisses me off, it is not his fault that my brothers came into this with it set in their minds that they were not going to like him. That is their fault," I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Come on, Love," Wolfe scoffed, "You have to admit that Hunter tends to stick his foot in his mouth . . . it doesn't help the situation. And if he has changed so much then why did the psychopath jump me the moment you left the room?"

This took me back a moment. Did he? I shook my head, "No, he was on edge . . . you must have done something to set him off . . . said something."

"I didn't," Wolfe looked at me shocked that I would defend Hunter so quickly.

I just scoffed and rolled my eyes, "I shouldn't be here . . ." I stepped around him.

"No, please," Wolfe gently grabbed my wrist, stopping me, "If you need to take a moment to yourself, you are more than welcome to stay here. I don't mind," He looked down at me sincerely.

"Of course, you don't," I breathed getting trapped in his gaze like I always did, "but I shouldn't be here," I repeated, taking a deep breath and then pulled my wrist from his hand and continued towards the stairs.

"Are you still trying to convince yourself that you don't have feelings me?" Wolfe chuckled, not maliciously, but I snapped. Maybe it was the pressure of the night or maybe it was Hunter's influence, but I was done with Wolfe playing the innocent card here.

"Oh, and you know I have feelings for you, how? Because you have feelings for me?" I turned on him.

"I know you have feelings for me because you get all nervous and guilty when we are alone," Wolfe smirked at my glare. "You are guilty because you think you should be, that you shouldn't have feelings for me because you are supposed to have feelings for Hunter."

I huffed, ignoring that fact that he was probably dead on with that statement, I didn't care, "And what does it matter? Huh?" I snapped, stepping up to him, "Are you just trying to make fun of me for falling for someone I can't be with? Is that it?" I growled.