~Mermaid AU Part 1~

And so it begins

Keith's POV
The soft splashing of tumbling waves filled my ears, my pale, blistered feet digging into the soft surface of sand beneath me. Soft blasts of wind hit my face, the raven locks of hair on my head flew back like streamers out of a confetti canon. I always loved the beach, since I was about six or seven. That was back when I was in my first foster home, it was actually one of the more decent I've had through my teenage lifetime. Now I was fifteen, practically an adult if you ask me. My foster parents don't agree with that though. Mia and Wen have a son named Takashi, but he prefers me to call him Shiro. The family adopted me after having me for about a year. The ocean was one of the things me and Mia bonded over. We both loved it, plus she always told amazing stories of the ocean.

I found a pretty clean rock, sat down and let the sound of the tumbling waves fill my mind. My eyes fluttered shut listening to all the sounds. When I opened my eyes and took in the scenery once more, something shiny caught my eye. It looks blue, and from this faraway and the glare of the sun, I could barely make out anything else except a hint of red. I got up to go investigate and I ended up sprinting down the grainy beach to get there faster.

When I got to the figure my violet eyes widened in shock. It was a boy, around the same age as me, with sun kissed tan skin and sandy brown hair. The most prominent thing though was the bright blue fish tail that stopped just below his belly button. Each scale had a slightly different shade, some deep royal blue, and others a soft periwinkle. The same scaly texture dotted his cheeks and nose, wavy gills sat on his neck. "Woah.." I found myself mumbling in awe.

As I looked a little closer though, I realized something. Sharp, fangy rope had itself wined around his tail, making it bend backwards in an unnaturally flexible shape. His arms were tied up behind his back, his neck straining to glare backwards to look at his situation. Red blood tainted his once clean skin, smudging more as he squirmed. His gills fanned quickly, trying desperately to breathe. I looked up at his face only too see two bright sapphire orbs staring back at me. The tan boys eyebrows furrowed at the sight of me, the fins on his ears straightening threateningly.

I flinched back as a continuous hiss erupted from the others throat. His finned body flailing helplessly on the sand. "Woah, hey calm down! Your gonna hurt yourself!!" I spoke, hoping that the blue eyed beauty in front of me could understand me. My words seemed to contradict themselves as he just flailed more, clearly spooked the hell out.

Not quite knowing what to do, I pulled out my pocket knife and carefully slit through a few of the ropes. The hissing intensified but I attempted to ignore it as best I could. Once all his limbs were free of the spiny net, I picked the boy up bridle style, heading back to the ocean.

The cold water hit my knees before I gently set the boy into the water. The finned one splashed as he tried to get comfortably into the water. I watched him dash away into the endless deep blue, thinking that was it, I turned around wide eyed and started to walk back to shore.

I suddenly felt a slippery hand grip my ankle. I whipped back around to find the same blue eyes staring back. The figure below me looked at me with a soft expression, his face no longer tense, throat no longer hissing. "Were you the one that saved me?" He asked, his voice nasally. My eyes widened even more as I crouch down to his level.

"You can speak?"

I hope that was pretty good for the first chapter, I know it's a little shorter then I would have liked but I still think it's a nice start! I'm not sure how many parts there will be to this oneshot so stay tuned!

Also an interesting fact you might be interested in knowing is that Mia and Wen (the people who adopted Keith) are lesbians~ ayyee!