Chapter Sixteen

I slammed my locker shut and chucked my used cigarette in the bin. Jasmine said we could hang this break but she was whisked away by that player boy she's shown interest in. I tend to stay away from them because one, they picked on Marcel. And two, they hang out with the bitch Jessica. God I hate her.

So I turned after my thoughts and began to the library. See what the kid is up to. As I walked, people glared at me more than usual and whispered about me. It really pissed me off. I was just a rebellious girl that everybody ignored until Marcel came. It's not his fault though. He's actually a blessing in disguise. Showing me who people really are on the inside.

Stepping into the air conditioned resource centre, I took my time letting my feet glide over the carpet. It was still dark and raining outside so I guess the building aura calmed me a bit. Well... that was until I heard light cries come from the relaxation corner.

I followed the sound of sadness to let my eyes widened at the boy crying in the corner. "Marcel?" He immediately stopped and looked up at me wiping his tears away. I put my bag on the floor and walked over before carefully sitting beside him. He let out ragged breaths and held in sobs that desperately wanted to come out.

My arm slid around his shoulders. His hands shook over his covered face as I leant a hand up. It carefully took his hand and pulled it down exposing half his face. He looked away and I frowned as he curled up in a ball. Without asking questions, I pulled him into my side as his head lightly hit my collar bone. He stared wide eyed at my skin as I pulled his glasses away.

Then we just sat. I don't know how long for but we did. His fingers had eventually gripped my shirt as he calmed his breathing.

"You're a good boy Marcel." I finally whispered looking down at him. "And I don't know the reason you're crying but I hope you feel better." Marcel just nodded as I sighed pulling my knees up to a squat. "Come on." Pulling him to his feet, he choked out heavy breaths wiping over his entire face. Then I gently put his glasses back on and lingered my hands for short moments.

I took Marcel's hand and pulled him with me to retrieve my bag. The kid doesn't look like he's eaten yet. Opening my bag, I pulled and sat us down at the study desks.

"I'm going to grab something from the canteen. You stay here and I'll be back with food." I took my purse standing up and Marcel stared at me almost in a pout. I turned and took a step only to feel a hand immediately grab mine. Stopping and going wide eyed, I slowly turn my head to see Marcel blushing furiously but gripping tighter.

He slowly stood up and cautiously came closer gripping my hand tightly. He looked up at me silently as I blinked.

"I-I'll come t-too." He muttered. I simply nodded and pulled him with me out of the library. I came towards the canteen with Marcel still latched onto my hand. People pointed and laughed making Marcel cower further into me. I growled wrapping am arm around his shoulders as he molded his side against mine.

"Head up." I said as we entered the school hallway. People stopped and stared from their lockers as we walked into the cafeteria. Marcel dove behind me and gripped my shirt as heads turned our way.

"Look, it's the nerds."

"You were right."

People whispered as I walked through to the canteen. My eye caught a table though. It was Jessica's. But Jasmine sat there as well under the arm of a player. Her eyes looked at me in.sorrow before she turned her head. I kept heading to the canteen until we got there.

The place erupt in voices again mainly talking about us.

"She's such a cougar."

"Has he even hit puberty yet?"

"I wonder if they've had sex yet."

"Losers!"

I got some sandwiches and juices before paying for them. Marcel clung to me like a baby sloth to its mother. "Thanks." I said and took Marcel's hand before pulling us out of the whistling and mocking cafeteria. We came up the hall where less people were but enough to put Marcel on edge. Poor kid. He's only fifteen.

His hand gripped mine and I gave a reassuring squeeze back as we headed to the library again.