Prologue

Dear Reader!

This is book six of the Shadows of the Night series. If you haven't read books 1 - 5, please go back and start with "Breathe Under Water" - Don't miss all the fun ;-)

For the rest: You know the drill, yes I know you do! ;-)

Book six, can you believe it? I can't! Actually I hadn't planned on writing another one at all. As usual my characters disagreed, they're not done with me, and I'm glad they're not! Whatever this book will be, I'm glad you're still with me, reading this! YOU made this story happen.

Lara

____________________________________________________________________________

Copyright @ Lara Stein All Rights Reserved Copyright:

All the chapters and content of this book are copyrighted. All rights reserved by the author (Lara Stein) and any unauthorized copying, broadcasting, distribution, manipulation, or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any links, brand names, the cover picture or otherwise copyrighted material is not my own, and is not covered by my copyright. No copyright fragment intended.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Prologue

From the diary of Anna Johnson, two years earlier

There are some absolute truths I believe in. You have to have principles, if you want to survive in this world. You need something to hold on to; to survive the bumps in the road life throws in your way. Call it what you want, but it's like there's a set of laws of physics my very own world operates on.

I know who I am.

I can recount it in a few simple sentences, like some sort of checklist, or something I'd elaborately write in my curriculum vitae. Just words, but in truth, they define who I am.

My name is Anna Johnson. I am an elemental witch and my element is air. Ergo, I work for the Circle. It's the kind of institution I always wanted to work for. Why? Because the Circle operates on the principles of justice and defends the witch society from threats in this city. It's the defender that keeps the monsters at bay. And monsters there are many in this city.

I avoid the Crimson District like it's the birthplace of the plague – not because of the freak show of partygoers I'd be bound to witness, no. There's another reason that brings the term "freak show" to a whole new level. In that part of town, they're rumored to be everywhere.

Vamps.

Some people would call me prejudiced, call me a racist right to my face. I don't mind. It's just that I know better. I know firsthand what the vamps are capable of. They want people to see them as human, when they're not. And that's what most people don't get.

They go on and on about a better world, about love and peace and how we're all one happy family. That in truth vamps are misunderstood formerly-humans. Really, it's ridiculous.

Vamps are not human. They're not like us. You can't just lump everything and everyone together and pronounce them equals. We're not and they're not. With them you can't use the same labels and terms you use to describe people with a heartbeat – they don't apply to someone that can snap your neck in less than a second.

Just because I'm not fooled like most people in this city, doesn't mean I'm a hater. No one should be discriminated against because of their appearance, heritage or skin color. But once a human becomes undead all bets are off and all those rules no longer matter. Once he is a vampire, he's a hunter; a stone-cold killer that will do all to quench his thirst for blood.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I tell myself that, one day, I'll get myself into the Force, somehow. Maybe I'll be promoted, finally given a chance to prove myself? Then Maria and I will work alongside each other, handling secret operations for the Circle. Saving lives. Doing the right thing.

I imagine myself being there, knowing that once I get there, I'll be the happiest person in New York City.

My name is Anna Johnson. I am an elemental witch and my element is air.