Chapter 1: North

GLYSTLAND

It had been several long, exhausting hours since James, the King of Glystland, had watched his fair beloved wife and Queen of many years, Joanne, get wheeled into the castle's birth chamber. She had been red in the face from cursing, crying, and screaming hysterically. He was going to follow her inside, but as soon as she and the nurses passed through the large iron doors, they slammed shut in his face.

He stopped, and silently willed them to open again, but to no avail. He crossed his arms and glared at the doors before starting to pace back and forth in front of the entryway like a sentry. After a while, he was pacing so much that he was starting to wear a hole in the floor, but he was too busy to care.

He had more important things to worry about than that. Like his wife, for instance.

Every time Joanne let out an agonised scream, he winced in sympathy, wanting nothing more than to be by her side, holding her hand. But he knew he couldn't. As a man, it wasn't his place to be in the birthing suite with his wife giving birth. It just wasn't the proper custom in their kingdom during that time or that was what he have been taught. To respect your wife when she's in pain. At least that's what centuries of history taught the Ethen dynasty.

So, he was left outside to pace and ponder of his wife and newborn's well-being.

As the minutes passed, his heavy footsteps echoed through the hall against the stone floors. Periodically, he shot anxious glances at the doors, which seemed never to open—much to his frustration. He desperately wanted to know if they were going to live.

It was something that he needed to know.

But after what seemed like a painful eternity, the intensity of Joanne's screaming lessened until they stopped altogether. A newborn infant's first earsplitting wails began, followed by another, softer cry. Hearing the noise, James banged on the door frantically, hoping someone would hear and let him enter.

Luckily, he didn't have to wait long.

The door opened, and a short, dark-haired nurse came out. Bright red blood and birthing fluid stained her white uniform but plastered her face with a bright, excited smile. Seeing the nurse, the King rushed over to her and clutched her shoulders tightly, his light blue eyes wild and anxious. She stopped, feeling the King holding onto her, looking like he was about to burst.

"Well, nurse, what news do you have for me?"

The question and the King's almost crushing grip momentarily rendered her speechless. She stared up at him, blinking without processing his words. It was like she wasn't all there. James had to shake her to get her to say something, but all she could say was, "Uhhhhh...."

The King, realizing he was hurting the woman's shoulders, quickly loosened his grip and stepped back, giving her space to breathe. He shot her an apologetic smile. She shook her head and understood he was nervous about being a father for the first time, so he was forgiven. The nurse then clapped her hands before speaking in an excited tone.

"My Lord, the gods will be pleased to discover the prophecy to be true. Our Queen has just given birth to not only one but two healthy babies—twins. Congratulations, my King. You're now the father of a beautiful baby girl and a handsome baby boy. They are to be the next Prince and Princess of the realm."

After hearing the nurse's delightful news, James's face broke out into a broad, warm smile. He straightened to his full height, towering over the woman, and raised his hands to the sky in celebration. His wife was well, and he had two beautiful, healthy children. What more could he ask for?

The prophecy is true. Can he believe it?

He then faced the nurse, his smile relaxing into something more reserved but polite.