Somnium

Summary: When talking to him, your dream didn't feel like a dream anymore. It felt more and more realistic as the nights went forward, the sun descending more and more.

Notes: An original idea I had in mind for a while!

Dreams. Such fascinating phenomena. The fact that the human brain is able to create such diverse, intricate and detailed imagery had always been interesting to you. Something about images, thoughts and scenery created in one's sleep seemed complicated. And yet, all you needed to do was to fall asleep. Once falling into a deep slumber, the doors to the dream world would open, each time looking a bit different.

However as of late, your own experiences within said world had been suspiciously identical. The dream had always started the same, on a large balcony where you could see a vast, open field. The balcony was attached to a palace of some sorts, however there was no door leading inside, just a stone wall. The railing was also made of stone, which was smooth to the touch, feeling almost like silk. The railing was filled with roses, decorating the balcony and the pillars, situated on each side.

This stunning balcony was where you had started your dream just a few nights prior. And everything had been the same, from the non-existent door, to the blood red roses. However, you had finally discovered what was so different every night. It was the sun. The Sun in your dream, that brightened the field, was slowly moving towards the horizon each night. Frankly, it had taken you at least three nights to realize this, but eventually you noticed the bright sun not being as high up as last time. This then made you wonder, what would happen when the Sun finally set? Would your continuous dream come to an end? Then what was the point? Why would your mind make up something this realistic and specific, only to have it end so soon? There had to be more. Of course dreams are dreams and shouldn't affect reality, you knew this, and yet, you couldn't help but to wonder if something big was waiting for you.

And there you were again. Traveling to the unknown world, where the same scenery from the balcony awaited for you. Or that was what you expected. Once you arrived at your familiar destination everything seemed normal. There were the pillars, the roses, even the scenery was almost identical, minus the Sun that was once again slightly closer to the horizon. But then you realized something. You weren't alone, in fact there was someone standing at the very end of the balcony, eyes locked to the horizon. This almost startled you, given the fact that you had always been alone whilst in this dream. And now there was someone standing right in front of you, with their back facing you. A part of you was joyous that you finally found someone within your dream, but the other told you to be cautious, as they didn't seem familiar.

You weren't sure how to approach the person. They were clearly buried in their own thoughts as they hadn't detected your presence. Taking this as an opportunity, you got a closer look at them. Now, you could tell that they were a male, maybe in his late teens. He had short blonde hair, and he wore dark armor with a royal blue cape hanging from his left shoulder. You couldn't see the details of his face, or the front of his body. Perhaps it would be alright to walk over to him and maybe find out who he was.

Taking slow, quiet steps, you made your way to the railing, stopping next to him. He seemed to notice your presence but for some reason he didn't react. You opened your mouth to speak but he was faster. "Professor, I apologize, but I would really appreciate if you could-" His sentence was cut short as he turned to look at the person next to him, noticing a complete stranger. Now you could see his face. He had wonderful blue eyes that were now widened with confusion and small, pink lips which you assumed formed a stunning smile.

"I.. uh.. Hello.." You say shyly, trying to be calm to avoid tensing him up. The blonde blinked a few times and it seemed that the words he wanted to say were stuck in his throat. The poor boy must've been startled by your odd appearance, you being in your pyjamas and all.