Knotted Up

Mabel stood in Kellan and Jake's newly remodeled kitchen a month later, tucked into Aleron's side as Jake held up his beer. "To finally getting our shit together," he laughed, and they all echoed his sentiment.

It had taken awhile for all the remodeling and unpacking to be completed, but, once everything was settled, Kellan had organized the get-together as a housewarming of sorts (or, as Lucy called it, "A perfect excuse to get wasted, make a ton of noise, and not worry about other apartment assholes complaining. Houses are great.").

Which would explain why Mabel was surrounded by her two closest friends, as well as their other additions: Aleron had come with only minor grumbling; Zephyrine wouldn't say it out loud, but she adored Kellan; Thora loved parties; Packer would do absolutely anything for Lucy; and Colby hadn't wanted to be left behind in Hell and had invited himself, though Zephyrine didn't seem to mind, if their make-out session in the corner was any indication.

Eyes wandering over the others, Mabel's gaze settled on Packer, who was watching from afar as Lucy played beer pong with Zephyrine, a dopey smile on his face. Detangling herself from a distracted Aleron (he'd gotten into an intense debate with Jake about ties, of all things), Mabel snuck up to Packer's side.

Packer regarded her carefully from the corner of his eye. "Thank you," he told her, his voice filled with genuine gratitude. "I adore her."

Mabel grinned. "I'm glad, because she happens to adore you, too."

His smile widened, and his eyes were full of so much love that Mabel almost felt like an intruder. After a moment, he shook his head, as if clearing it, and broached another topic. "I have never understood your Aleron better than I do now. He and I get along, solely because we are both determined to protect the person closest to us." He gestured with his chin to something over her shoulder, and Mabel followed his stare to find Aleron, still talking with Jake, but his gaze was trained on her. When their eyes met, his body relaxed slightly, and he sent her a gentle grin.

Mabel returned it by blowing a kiss and mouthing the words, Love you. Aleron's smile turned roguish, and she spun back to Packer before she could fall into the trap of her demon's heated stare.

"That's good," her voice was breathless, and she cleared her throat before continuing. "Can I ask you a question, though?"

One of Packer's brows rose, and he turned to face her entirely, giving her his full attention. "Is something wrong?"

Feeling sheepish, Mabel shuffled left and right, suddenly uncomfortable. "Only Zephyrine and Thora are aware of this, so it needs to stay between us, alright? Aleron can't know."

Packer stiffened. "If you are in danger, I must tell him, Mabel." She figured as much; he was Aleron's second-in-command, after all, and the speech he'd given her only moments prior spoke of his loyalty to her demon.

But this situation was resolved, so there was nothing left for Aleron to worry about.

Hopefully, anyway.

"I know," her chin jutted out, and she set her shoulders back, determined to get through her confession. "I'm not in danger, though, I promise. Not anymore, anyway. But . . . before everything in Hell went to, well, Hell, I'd been having these nightmares. About the book, I mean." She breathed in slowly, trying to steady her frantic heartbeat (even the mere thought of that damn room made her anxious), and met his stare.

"It was the exact setting of what happened—even the voices that spoke to me were the exact same. How is that possible? I'm not magical, or talented in any way, really, so I don't understand. I need someone to explain it to me, and you were a warlock, so I figured you'd know." Although the ex-warlock wasn't evil, she had not doubt that he'd studied many spells; he seemed like the knowledgeable type.