Epilogue

It had been nearly four years since they left Jabberwock Island. Not that (Y/N) didn't enjoying living in paradise with the love of her life, but she became restless after more time passed. The world was finally healing from the effects of despair according to Future Foundation reports they received regularly. Things were even going well enough that Makoto decided to revive Hope's Peak Academy and take on the role of headmaster.

Makoto had personally asked all of Class 77-B to help him with running the school, and to his surprise, most everyone agreed. Akane and Nekomaru took over the physical education classes, and spent most of their time after school coaching various sports teams. Mahiru, Hiyoko, and Ryota took over the arts and humanities department, covering various subjects like photography, animation, and traditional Japanese art styles. Mikan returned to her position as the school nurse and Kazuichi taught a mechanical engineering class. Teruteru and Twogami took over the kitchen staff, and students constantly questioned if they were identical twins after seeing Twogami's latest disguise.

As for the students who didn't return to Hope's Peak, there was Sonia who returned back to rule over the kingdom of Novoselic and Gundham, who followed her. She insisted that he would be perfect for capturing the rare and wild beast known as the Makango that was native to her country. Fuyuhiko and Peko returned back to the Kuzuryu clan to take over what was left of it. Ibuki ended up forming a new solo career in music and was working on a country-wide tour for the next couple of years.

That just left (Y/N) and Nagito. Nagito had taken a spot as the recruiter for Hope's Peak. His passion for recognizing talent made him the perfect candidate for the role. (Y/N) on the other hand, was now the head of the music department. She taught classes during the day, but also gave private lessons to interested students as well as directing the student orchestra in her spare time. One of her favorite students in particular was a blonde-haired girl named Kaede, who had an incredible talent for playing piano.

The fall orchestral concert was coming up and instead of playing the usual classics, (Y/N)'s students insisted they performed one of her original pieces. She was hesitant at first, but after seeing their excitement, she let them pick through a few of her completed pieces. The song they chose in particular featured a soloist piano part, which she already had a candidate in mind for.

"But, Ms. (L/N)...don't you think you should play the solo part? This is your song!" Kaede protested after being asked by (Y/N) to be the soloist.

"It's called the student orchestra, not the teacher orchestra. This is about showcasing your skills to the public! If you don't want to play the part, I'm sure another one of your classmates would be willing?" (Y/N) eyeballed around her classroom and all of her students were crossing their arms and shaking their heads at the suggestion. She sighed. "Do you guys really want me to do it that badly?"

"It's the first time we've performed one of your original pieces, Ms. (L/N). It will be more special if you do the solo." Kaede's smile looked so genuine that it was difficult to deny her that wish. Not to mention the eagerly-nodding students sitting behind her backing her up. So after a long moment of pondering things over and several more sighs, (Y/N) agreed to play the piano solo.

On the night of the concert, the nerves were really starting to kick in. (Y/N) had gotten more comfortable with people listening to her play music, especially now that she was a teacher. But it was never more than a classroom full of people, let alone an entire auditorium. And the thought of one of her original compositions being performed left her feeling even more anxious. Her music was a like mirror in her mind, reflecting thoughts, feelings, and memories in the form of notes on a page. She would be completely exposed.

Her students already left the classroom to start setting up backstage, but she couldn't bring herself to join them just yet. She took a deep breath as she leaned against the wall in her office and slowly sunk to the floor. Her sulking was interrupted by a light tapping against her door, which wasn't closed all the way.