Part 2

When Rohit and Virat were fighting during the semi final with India 5 down, Jaddu and Bhuvi quickly reached a conclusion through an eye exchange.

"...why would you desert us in the semi final?" shouted Virat.

"Desert? Desert?" shouted back Rohit.

"What else do you suppose--"

Jaddu appeared in front of them and grabbed Rohit's shoulders.

"Let's go and sit in the front," he said soothingly, and pulled Rohit up, who didn't resist.

As Jaddu dragged Rohit away from Virat, he could feel Rohit shaking.

"I didn't mean to desert India--did I desert India, Jaddu?" asked Rohit, and something about his voice cut through Jaddu's heart.

After giving his all in this WC, Rohit did not deserve this.

"Of course you didn't desert India, Ro," said Jaddu, meaning every word.

They sat down in the front of the balcony. Rohit was still shaking, whether from anger or sadness, Jaddu couldn't tell.

"Calm down, Rohit," he said softly. "Breathe normally... don't get all worked up now..."

Rohit tried to breathe evenly, but as Jaddu tried to put an arm around him, he pulled away.

"Don't," said Rohit harshly. "You don't have to pretend you aren't angry with me too."

"You're getting it all wrong. There's nothing to be angry in this--it's not like..."

Jaddu trailed off.

"I wish we could have one more chance--" Rohit's voice choked. He hid his face with his hand, but Jaddu couldn't not notice his tears.

"--I would never have let this happen. If we could just go half an hour back in time, Jaddu...if only..."

Rohit started sobbing horribly, and maybe because he was trying so hard to stop, it broke Jaddu's heart.

"If only we had Doraemon's Time Machine," said Jaddu wistfully, but Rohit only sobbed harder at that, and Jaddu knew that it wasn't the time for jokes

What could he say?

Whatever could he say?

"Ro... it's not over. I'm still here," said Jaddu quietly at last. "I promise I won't let us down. I won't."

"Jaddu..." mumbled Rohit, finally looking up, his face crumpled with tears.

Jaddu took Rohit's arm and squeezed it.

And Hardik threw his wicket away that very moment.

Jaddu stood up to go out to bat, and Rohit stood up with him.

"You can do it, Jad," whispered Rohit. "I know you can."

As Jaddu walked out to the field, the only thought in his head was-- I will not see Rohit cry like that again.

____________

Jaddu played one of the bravest knocks ODI cricket had ever seen, given the situation. In a match where every single batsman, New Zealander or Indian, had struggled, bowling all rounder Ravindra Jadeja batted so effortlessly and beautifully that he gave hope to every Indian on the planet.

Virat and Yuzi joined Rohit in the front balcony as Mahi and Jaddu's partnership steadily grew.

With every boundary of Jaddu's, Virat and Rohit glanced at each other, their eyes progressively lighting up.

Jaddu hit a 4 to move to 49, and Virat jumped up and high-fived with Rohit.

"He can still do it," breathed Virat, in an almost inaudible voice, because he didn't want to jinx it, and Rohit's smile mirrored his hope.

Jaddu reached his fifty.

Forgetting everything else around him, forgetting to clap or cheer, Rohit stood up straight and as Jaddu looked around at the dressing room and met his eyes, Rohit flexed his arm and pointed at his friend.

You are strong.

Amidst his typical sword fight celebration, Jaddu felt something powerful choking inside him as he got Rohit's message

I will not let Rohit down.

__________

When Jaddu's high lofted shot got him caught out on 77, the bottom fell away from Rohit's world. Yes, Mahi bhai was still there, but everyone knew it had to be Jadeja or no one at all. There were too many runs left, and Mahi bhai wasn't finding the boundaries as easily as Jaddu--and it simply meant that everything was finally over.

The walk back to the dugout was the longest walk in Jaddu's life.

He had failed to keep his promise. He had failed Rohit.

In the dressing room, Jaddu found it hard to look at Rohit's broken expression.

He had failed.

He had failed.