SIX

The restaurant downtown was open decently late which was surprising for a small town where things would usually close around eight at night. A table for two was set up in the corner and ready to be taken. Only a couple of police and some of the towns people with longer day shifts were taking up places at the bar. I sat with my back toward the wall, I needed to be able to see everything that was going on in the building, real or spiritual. Edward sat facing me and ordered the same drink that I did: a Pepsi.

"Are you hungry?" He questioned, he paid close attention to my mannerisms and posture.

I scrunched my brow and sat up straight, "I'm still pretty freaked out about how we've got some psycho trying to choke people out in our town."

He nodded, "Fair point."

The pictures on the walls seemed pretty generic. Something like what you might find in an outdoor equipment store. They were lit by dim, yellow light and a bit worn from how humid it could get in the spring and summer months. It wasn't enough to distract me from the fact that Edward Cullen almost always acted like he didn't want to be out in public.

"You don't talk much," I pointed out and took the last sip of my drink before it was just ice.

He slid his untouched cup toward me and sighed, "I dunno, it's been quite a while since something exciting has happened around here, a boring town is cause for a pretty boring life."

That seemed decently personal, it might have been the longest statement he had ever made to me. I nodded and mocked his sigh.

"I wish I could say the same."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you've been here for some time. I'm sure you remember my "sixth sense" freak out," I toyed with my fingers and took another sip.

"That was ruled as a substance induced episode, right? Like someone spiked your tea?" He perked up ever so slightly.

"Eh, well," I looked around the restaurant, "I'm pretty sure your dad just gave me that diagnosis to get everyone off my case."

"You still see these people everywhere?" He arced his brow and leaned forward.

I shrugged, "Depends on who's around. You, a bunch. Your brother, Jasper, even more. Mike Newton, none. I haven't figured out the connection between those two factors yet."

"Do they say anything?" By the time I finished my drink it was about time for the restaurant to close.

"They just gripe about how they were murdered. I mean, most of the ones around you have bite marks and blood draining from arteries so unless you're a vampire I still count myself as bat shit crazy," I joked when I used the word vampire, it was ridiculous.

He quickly shoved his hand in the pocket of his jeans, pulled out his wallet, and threw a ten dollar bill on the table. "Come with me."

I smirked, "Why?"

"Just trust me, Julia."