Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Clara followed her orientation group in quiet agony. After what felt like hours of listening to her student tour guide discuss every single detail of each historic building, Clara was ready for a well-deserved nap. Her little flats proved to be a horrible choice in footwear as the vicious edges dug further into her skin. She would have blisters for a month. Her only source of comfort was the equally pained look on Rose's face. At least they could suffer together.

"Now, I would like everyone to take a paper for the scavenger hunt," the tour guide said, her voice too excited for Clara's foul mood. "This will help you become familiar with campus before your classes start next week. You may split up into whatever groups you'd like, but meet back here at two."

"Partner?" Rose turned and asked as they received their papers.

"Sure." Clara glanced down at her sore feet. "What kind of impression do you think I'd leave if I ditched the shoes and just walked around campus barefoot?"

Rose suppressed a laugh. "I'd be more concerned about what you might step on. Just don't go down Greek Row."

Clara laughed and shrugged the thought away. "My little sister is constantly barefoot. She prefers it that way."

"I think I'd like her," Rose said, smiling as she linked their arms together. "Come on. We have time to run back to the dorm and change. My feet are killing me too. Flats, adorable with many outfits, not meant for walking around campus."

"I think I'll wear slippers to my first class."

"Right there with you."

With a new determination to complete the scavenger hunt without blisters, the two retreated to their room. Lost in a discussion, they looked over the list. They took little notice of the guy in their path until they were almost crashing into his large figure.

"Ladies," he greeted. "Headed somewhere?"

Rose answered first. "Corin, right? Sorry we almost ran you over."

Corin's deep laugh filled with amusement. With his height and even larger frame, there were very few who could run him over. His dark eyes darted to Clara. She shifted under his gaze, averting her eyes from his.

"Clara, it's good to see you."

"Yeah, it's been a while," Clara said. Two years to be exact. Corin Sander was not a man one could forget. She might have missed her hometown of Trousdale, but he wasn't the reason.

"It's funny how life brings old friends back together again." Amusement filled his piercing stare.

Clara replied with a soft smile, remembering why she never liked the guy. In Trousdale, Corin was the man every girl in her school drooled over, which made his over-inflated ego swell even more. Clara never understood the appeal. But the more she had tried to ignore him, the harder he tried to pursue her. Shivering at the memories, she prayed he'd grown up in the last couple of years.

"So, where are you two lovely ladies headed?" he asked.

"Scavenger hunt," Rose replied, oblivious to Clara's disinterest. She lifted the paper for reassurance. "We have a couple of hours, so we are heading back to the dorms first."

"Scavenger hunt, eh?" Corin snatched the paper from Rose's hands. "I remember this. They make all freshmeat do it. I'll tell you what, I'll get you the answers if you two ladies promise to come to my party tonight. And later, if you're still lost on campus, I'll give you a tour myself. What do you say?"

"Thanks, but you don't have—" Clara began to say, but Rose's voice rang over hers.

"Deal!"

Corin's dark eyes shifted between the girls. His smile crept across his lips into something Clara could only describe as unscrupulous.