Chapter 4

"Hi," she said, throwing herself into the only compartment that wasn't full, even though it had Harry Potter in it. "Hello," Ron muttered, annoyed. "Hi." Harry said with a much nicer greeting. There were a few moments of awkward silence. Then, when they finally started a conversation, Draco stood in the doorway. "Hermione, come on, there's an empty compartment open..oh, hello Potter." he said, his tone changing from friend to enemy. "Everyone thinking you still matter, huh?" Hermione stood. "Stop it, Draco."

What came next was unexpected by either of the two. "Make me." He growled, shoving her backwards. Hermione looked at him with wide, sad eyes. Draco's friends dragged him back over to the compartment so that he could tell them what happened, laughing. Hermione left with Harry and Ron whispering to each other, her walking up and down the train trying to find a somewhat empty compartment. She eventually sat in the one with Luna Lovegood, better known as "Looney Lovegood", and Neville Longbottom, not knowing anything about either of the two.

This, however, though made Hermione happy, also made the rest of the people think that she was odd for sitting with them. Draco only glanced at her before they stopped. They all got off of the train. "All firs' years this way!" Hagrid, the gamekeeper, called. Draco was disgusted when he was put in a boat with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Luna. Hermione was the one rowing along with Harry when she heard Draco insulting Luna. "Honestly Draco, don't you ever shut up and actually bother to care about other people?" she asked with a cold tone. "Honestly, you're the one that needs to shut up." silence lingered on after Hermione muttered, "Whatever."

When they got there, they all got out of the boat and Draco shoved her out of the way, but Hermione just kept walking in front of him. Eventually Draco gave up and all the first years, accompanied by Hagrid, walked into the school. Draco didn't seem the slightest bit fazed, but Hermione was looking around with wide eyes just as everyone else was. They then saw a funny looking man and woman. The man had long, silvery hair, and a beard that definitely had to be longer than 3 feet. The woman was dressed in long green robes and had a pointed witch's hat, with a stern look that would give most people the chills.

"This 'ere is Professor Dumbledore an' Professor McGonnagal." Hagrid said happily. Dumbledore took a look at his watch, which, had orbiting planets on it and looked very confusing. "Very sorry Hagrid, I have to go do something. I'll be back for the Sorting." He scurried off. "Now that you all are here, we are about to have the annual Sorting Ceremony. You will simply," she gestured to a dusty, dirty looking pointed hat, "put the hat on your head." Draco was disgusted. "It will then put you in the house that you are most suited to. All of the houses are named after the four founders of this school. Gryffindor, after Godric Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, after Rowena Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, after Helga Hufflepuff, and Slytherin." she didn't ever say Slytherin's founder.

"Now, since Professor Dumbledore still is not here yet, we will have to wait. You may talk with your peers until you are told otherwise." Draco turned to Hermione. "I already know I'm in Slytherin. If you're a Gryffindor, good luck, that's the worst house. It suits you that way." he smiled, Hermione looking down with dull eyes. After a couple of minutes of silence for Hermione and bullying for Draco, Professor Dumbledore arrived.

"Alright then. Now that Professor Dumbledore is here, you will all be called by random order to be sorted." Then the hat started to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Many people clapped, and Professor McGonnagal started calling names. "Weasley, Ronald." He walked up, Draco holding in a laugh. He sat down and hesitantly put the Sorting Hat on his head, all his brothers watching from the Gryffindor table. "Hm..another Weasley. I know just what to do with you.." There was silence for a moment. "GRYFFINDOR!" it shouted. Ron gave a relieved sigh and sat next to the Weasley twins, Fred and George. "Finnigan, Seamus." Another Gryffindor.

After a blur of names she called, "Granger, Hermione." She walked up, Draco's eyes on her. She put it on her head, and it was silent for a moment. After a minute it shouted, "GRYFFINDOR!" She walked over to the Gryffindor table, smiling a sad smile with a smirk on Draco's face. "Malfoy, Draco." Everyone turned to look at him. Barely a second after he put the hat on his head, it shouted, "SLYTHERIN!" He smiled, shooting an amusing look at Hermione. He walked over to the Slytherin table and sat down, several prefects slapping his back happily.

"Potter, Harry." A few whispers went around. Everyone knew he wouldn't be in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, but that's not to say that he didn't have the traits of either. It whispered things in Harry's ear that only he could hear, before shouting, "GRYFFINDOR!" Twice as many prefects hugged and slapped his back awkwardly but happily than Draco. "The Sorting is now complete." She then joined Dumbledore and the other headmasters and professor's above them.

———————————time skip brought to you by Imagine Dragons——————————

When they started to follow their prefects to their dormitories, Draco whispered in Hermione's ear, "Told ya." Hermione didn't care what he said. "Whatever. You do realize that we're fighting over some stupid Potter, right?" Draco was stunned. Hermione left him with it, however, and they both eventually fell asleep in their dormitories.