That Time I Met My In-law in a Dream

Gray stood in what had to be the largest forest clearing he'd ever seen in his life. The trees only seemed to get farther and farther away as he walked towards them, always far beyond his reach.

"Gray?" He whirled around as his name was called, catching sight of bright pink hair that drastically stood out in the mess of green around them. Even if he hadn't seen him, Gray would always know that voice. Natsu came barreling towards him, at full speed, jumping onto him to hug him when they met.

Gray laughed softly as the fell to the ground, his bare back against the soft grass. When did I lose my shirt? Screw it, it doesn't matter. He pulled Natsu close to him. "Hey. Do you have any idea where we-" he paused as he saw Natsu's face.

He looked stuck between crying out of joy or sadness. "Come on," Natsu mumbled as he shifted. Once he was standing he pulled Gray to his feet and over to the cave Gray had been too preoccupied to notice. "Come on..."

Gray let him pull him along without any resistance, "Natsu, can you tell me what's going on?" Natsu just kept pulling as if he didn't hear him. He lead Gray around a few confusing corners of the cave, holding onto his hand tightly. Gray sighed softly and gently squeezed Natsu's hand as he interlocked their fingers. Even if he doesn't want to talk... I'm here.

As they rounded the final corner, the only thing he could see in front of him was the color crimson. The wall seemed to shift and move, forcing Gray to realize that it wasn't a wall at all, but rather the scales of a dragon larger than anything he'd ever seen in his life. Within seconds, he was staring into the large reddish orange eyes of the beast, but despite his logical mind telling him to run away, his instincts told him he was safe.

"Hello there," The dragons lips barely moved as he spoke, and the language was most definitely not Fiori, but for some reason, his brain automatically translated it. "You know of me, but we have never met. I am Igneel."

Gray's eyes widened, and he immediately dropped into a bow.

Igneel snorted. "Oh none of that! I may be a royal, but dragons have very different customs to humans."

Gray quickly got back to his feet, afraid he'd offended the great dragon, "I'm-"

"Don't apologize. Natsu brought you here for a reason. If he respects you, then I respect you," Igneel said honestly.,"However, you're also dating my son, and that requires a conversation and a half."

Natsu hugged Gray from behind, and glared at Igneel, but there was no real heat. "You're not allowed to be mean."

"I won't be, little pyro," He looked at Natsu softly despite the glare. He knew that Natsu didn't really mean it.

Natsu let his grip loosen, "Okay..."

Gray looked back and forth between them, "Why would he be mean?" he whispers to Natsu.

Natsu gently kissed Gray's cheek, "He said he won't be. I believe him... For now." He sticks his tongue out at Igneel as he lets go, then he gives Gray a gentle nudge forward.

Gray takes a nervous step when prompted, but he doesn't move again until Igneel speaks what felt like hours later. "Come on. I'm going to bring you with me for a moment."

"Uh..." Gray turned around to offer a hand to Natsu, but the pinkette had vanished at some point.

"He'll be back later. But for now, were' going to talk, just you and I. Climb on." Yet again, Gray hesitated, but Igneel wasn't having it. He wrapped the end of his tail around him and plopped him onto his back, "I suggest you hold on."

Gray gripped one of Igneel's back spines lightly, afraid he'd hurt the great dragon. That changed the moment that the scaly back flexed beneath him and his wings spread out. There was a hole at the top of the mountain that lead into where they were now, and with a sudden spike of panic, Gray realized what was going to happen. As the force of the air pushing against him rose with their ascent, Gray wrapped his arms and legs around the spine, holding on for dear life.