Chapter 3: Over The Edge

It was cold, very cold. I'm wrapped up in two blankets trying to keep warm, but it was impossible in this weather. All I can see is ice. I turn slightly and see Pintel and Ragetti sitting next to me also cold. However, they're not wrapped in any blankets.

"No one said anything about cold," Pintel complains.

"It's too cold. I can't feel my feet," I say agreeing with Pintel.

"I'm sure there must be a good reason for our suffering," Ragetti tries to say, but it's too cold to listen to have any logic.

"Why don't that obeah woman bring Jack back the same way she brought back Barbossa?" Pintel asks. I feel myself flinch at the mention of Jack's name. I'm getting better, but it's still upsetting to think that he's gone.

"Because Barbossa was only dead. Jack Sparrow is taken, body and soul, to a place not of death, but punishment. The worst fate a person can bring upon himself... stretching on forever. That's what awaits at Davy Jones' Locker," Tia Dalma says while placing a hand on my shoulder to offer support. She understands how hard the whole Jack thing is for me. She has become like a mother to me.

"Yeah. I knew there was a good reason," Ragetti says while rubbing his hands together to try and add some heat to his body.

I look at the duo and smile before moving to stand next to Will who's looking at the charts. He shoots me a small smile before looking back at the charts.

"The charts aren't set. They can't be accurate," I say while watching and trying to figure out the markings.

"Nothing here is set. These can't be as accurate as modern charts," Will agrees with me.

The pirate, Tai Huang, from Singapore seemed amused by our comments.

"No. But it leads to more places," he says as he watches Will move a section of the chart.

I watch as it moves to reveal words on the chart. This is so past me. I have no idea what's going on or how we're going to get to Jack. The only thing I care about is getting Jack back. And I don't care how we do it.

"Over the edge. Over again. Sunrise sets. Flash of green," Will says muttering to himself then stood up and goes over to Barbossa and hands him the charts. "Do you care to interpret, Captain Barbossa?"

"Ever gazed upon the green flash, Master Gibbs?" Barbossa asks.

Gibbs takes a swig of his rum before answering.

"I reckon I seen my fair share. Happens on rare occasion. The last glimpse of sunset, a green flash shoots up into the sky. Some go their whole lives without ever seeing it. Some claim to have seen it who ain't. And some say...," Gibbs says.

"It signals when a soul comes back to this world from the dead," Pintel interrupts and Gibbs sends him a glare. "Sorry," he says sheepishly.

"Trust me, young Master Turner. It's not getting to the land of the dead that's the problem. It's getting back," Barbossa says while he steers us into a crevice that is made of ice.

I move to stand at the edge of the ship and sit alone with my thoughts. I just hope by the time we have Jack back, that everything between us will go back to normal. And I really hope that my father, Barbossa, will keep his promise by trying to get along with Jack. Actually, he didn't promise. He just said he would try. I turn and move out of sight as I hear Elizabeth and Will moving towards me.

"How long do we continue not talking?" Will asks her.

"Once we rescue Jack, everything'll be fine," she says and walks away.

"Then we rescue Jack," Will mutters and I move to stand next to him and held his hand.

"Everything will be okay in the end, Will," I say and lean my head on his shoulder while we stare out into the sea. I think I can see something, but I'm not sure.

"For what we want most... there is a cost must be paid in the end," Tia says as she moves next to Will and myself.

I look at her and see a familiar necklace hanging around her neck. It's the same as Davy Jones.' I turn and now see a huge drop ahead of us. I grab Will's hand and run to Barbossa.

"Look straight ahead!" I say while moving to stand next to Barbossa.

"Aye, we're good and lost now," he says with a smile.

"Lost?" Elizabeth asks as she too runs up to Will, myself, and Barbossa.

"For certain you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it is," he explains, but to me it sounds like complete insanity.

"We're gaining speed," Gibbs shouts up to us.

"Aye," Barbossa says.

"To stations! All hands to stations! Rudder full! Hard aport! Gather way!" Will shouts to the crew.

I push my father out of the way to try and steer the ship away from the edge.

"Nay! Belay that! Let her run straight and true!" Barbossa shouts back and moves me away, so I move to the side and grab hold of the rail.

"Blimey," Ragetti says looking scared.

"You've doomed us all," Elizabeth shouts at Barbossa.

"Don't be so unkind. You may not survive to pass this way again, and these be the last friendly words you'll hear," Barbossa says and moves to stand next to me and winks before holding onto the same rail as me.

"Hold on!" I shout and hear myself scream as the ship is pulled over the edge and everything goes black.

The last thought on my mind was each radical event brings me so much happiness that I don't think life can get any better.