Chapter 4

How had a child managed to get into the sub?

You stared at the little kid in front of you, who had stopped moving the mope and stared back at you with two big silver eyes you realized you knew very well. Although this eyes were still transparent and innocent, free of the regret and suffering that clouded those ones you had become familiar with.

He had Law's eyes.

And that hat... The kid was wearing a hat that had made you mistake him for a cow. It was the exact same hat your captain used to wear when you met him, although it looked a little too big on the kid's head, in contrast to when your captain wore it. He changed it shortly after you joined the crew for that other hat he wore now.

"Why didn't you tell me you had a son?" you blurted out in indignation, frowning your brows.

"What? I don't have a son! He's not my son!" Law exclaimed.

"How is he not your son? He looks exactly like you!" you continued with your accusation as you compared their faces.

"He can't be my son. I've never... " He stopped realizing what kind of information he was about to give you. "He's not my son, alright?" he concluded averting his eyes.

"But he looks exactly like you," you repeated, deciding not to pay attention to your captain's accidental slip.

"You're not my daddy. Where is my daddy?" a high-pitched voice interceded.

Law turned his annoyed gaze to the kid, making him burst into tears.

"Hey! Don't look at him that way, you're scaring him," you protested squatting down and hugging the child.

Law blinked in puzzlement. Look at him that way? What way? He wasn't making any scary face. This kid was a crybaby.

"Don't worry sweetie. He barks a lot but doesn't bite."

Law sent a death glare to you, but you ignored him.

"How old are you, honey?"

"Five," he answered between sobs.

"And how did you get in here?" you continued, speaking softly so you wouldn't scare him further.

"I don't know. I was playing with Lami and then, I was here. Where is my mom?" the kid explained.

You turned to Law to find he had froze, eyes widening. "What did you just say?" he asked squatting down next to you and placing his nodachi aside. "Repeat that name."

"Lami?" the kid answered hesitantly.

"Who's Lami?" you wanted to know.

"My baby sister," the little child said.

You looked at Law in confusion. Why that fact surprised him so much?

He asked the kid a few more questions that didn't make much sense to you, before standing up grabbing you with him. "It's me. This kid is me with five years old," he told you in a low voice.

"What? Why do you think so?" You didn't know if you should worry about your captain's mental health.

"Because of his answers. Everything matches with my own life. I'm sure, it's me," he explained.

You took a look at the kid. He was exactly like Law. He was too alike to him, even in the case he was family. But still... "And how is he... I mean you... eh... Why is he here?" You weren't sure how to address him now you knew the kid was supposed to be your captain.