Chapter 13

The next morning they were all stood around where the crates had been piled up, sat untouched until now. Clementine was at the forefront, crowbar in hand, ready to finally find out whether it had all been worth it.

"Clem, if you don't open these crates, I might die from the anticipation."

Louis gets a shove from Violet for the comment, but strangely, it does kick Clementine into action. She tightens her grip on the crowbar as she steps towards the nearest crate, shoving the end of it into the lid of the crate. With a quick push down, she hears the wooden lid splinter and strain from the force, splitting apart from the crate.

The crowbar is dropped to the floor, now grabbing the sides of the lid and heaving it off to the side, kicking up a cloud of dust as it lands on the floor. Clementine glances into the contents of the crate just as the others step forward, crowding around to get a look for themselves.

"Holy shit..." Willy whispers in awe, resisting the urge to put his hands into the crate.

"That's a lot..." AJ says, excitement creeping into his voice.

"Guys? You're forgetting I can't really see here, what are we looking at?" Violet cuts in, irritation lacing her voice.

Various firearms were laid out within the crate, clearly having been scavenged from elsewhere, whether it be from The Delta lucking out, or forcefully taking the weapons in one of their raids. The latter seemed more likely...

"Guns. And a lot of them," Aasim answers, hands now resting on the edge of the crate, too nervous to actually grab one from out of the box.

"Sure, there's a lot, but... Where's the ammo?" Ruby asks, unable to spot any bullets that they had expected to see alongside the guns.

"Maybe its just the guns? They probably have plenty of ammo back at their base, maybe they didn't need it?" James said.

"Nah, no way. They were at war, right? They'd need all the ammo they can get," Willy replies.

"Who doesn't need ammo? No such thing as too much ammo," Zara said.

"So, what? The Delta scavenged around, found a crap ton of guns and ammo, and just decided not to take the ammo?" Violet asks

"Or maybe they didn't find any. They could always have only found the guns."    Louis replies

"That doesn't make a lick of sense..." Ruby mutters.

"Or-" Clementine cuts in, stood next to a crate that she had opened without them noticing, too wrapped up in their discussion. "-Maybe it's in one of the crates we haven't opened yet?"

There's a moment in which everyone stands and stares at Clementine, blinking slowly as the realisation dawns on them, looking from Clementines unimpressed (though slightly amused) expression to the crate next to her.

Shockingly enough, Clementine is right. Inside the crate are boxes of ammo that have been haphazardly thrown into the crate, along with loose bullets that must have fallen out of their boxes during the whole, uh, 'explosion' thing.

"Was this crate in the water?" Aasim asks as he picks up one of the boxes on the top of the pile, feeling for any dampness.

"Don't think so. At least, it doesn't look like it. It's pretty banged up though, so seems it was thrown a bit from from the explosion. Probably one of the crates that was left out on the docks."

"Good thing it wasn't on the boat. All this gunpowder, plus that bomb? Yeah, that wouldn't have been a pretty sight..." Louis comments, glancing worriedly to the ammo in front of him.