Homecoming

Lieutenant Greene and Detective Fowler sat in their unmarked car and watched the funeral of one of the toughest and sweetest women to ever live in Detroit

Lieutenant Greene and Detective Fowler sat in their unmarked car and watched the funeral of one of the toughest and sweetest women to ever live in Detroit. Evelyn Mercer, adopted mother to five of the worst cases that DCF Detroit office had ever seen. Seeing four of said troublemakers around their mother's casket.

Greene explained the Mercer's. "Been a long time since anyone has seen those faces around here." He said surprised at the slow drive by of Bobby and Audrey Mercer. "Must have got out on good behavior." Fowler said snidely. Greene didn't laugh, "Not likely." He pulled a thick file from beside him. "That's Bobby Mercer. Heavyweight champion fuckup of the family. Lost a pro hockey contract. Used to play peewee hockey with him. Got thrown out of 60 odd games before the league had enough of him. They called him the Michigan Mauler."

Fowler looked shocked. "Ok, who's the girl?" He asked seeing the woman Bobby was helping out of the old Lincoln. "That is the only reason he isn't doing life somewhere. That's Audrey Mercer." Fowler looked more surprised. "A sister?" He was doubtful seeing the way Mercer hovered over her. "You could say that. You see when Bobby's case was given to Evelyn she went to the run down shit hole that he was in to get him." He sighed, taking a deep breath for the rest of the story.

"When she got there Bobby was beating the so called "father" half to death. Bobby might be a lot of things, but he never lets innocent people get hurt. When they pulled him off, instead of running away, he ran to the basement." Greene turned for a second remembering how horrible it had been. "Turned out the sick fuck had a girl in the basement he was using. Bobby found out and I don't doubt he would have killed him."

"She..." Fowler trailed pointing back to the woman. "Yea, when Evelyn saw her she demanded to have her too. A month in the hospital and Bobby never left her side. I don't know if I believe in fate or soulmates or any of that...but if I did, it would be those two. You'll never see one without the other in striking distance."

Fowler processed what he'd heard. "Does she have a record too?" Greene gave a bit of a chuckle. "Not that you could prove. Where Bobby is all brawn, that girl is a certified genius. She went to MIT on a scholarship after she hacked their classes for fun." He smiled remembering the new reports of a 17 year old girl hacking the college to attend classes.

"What about the kid?" Fowler asked seeing the tall lanky man behind Bobby. "Ohh, that's Jack." Greene said with a laugh. "He's the youngest. First class fuck up, third class rockstar." "He doesn't look like trouble." Fowler observed. Greene shook his head. "He's a Mercer, don't let that fool ya."

"What about over here? Another model citizen no doubt." Fowler asked about the man who's house the reception was in. "Nah, Jeremiah's alright. Was a rising star of the Union for a while. Man found a cause." "We have one MIA. I thought you said five?" Fowler asked about the missing Mercer.

"Angel. Pretty boy, ex-hustler, soldier. Guess he's a no show today."

———————————————————————