Mission II: Between a Rock & a Hard Place

Interlude Notes

Scrappy gets snappy and Maggie loves smacking things.

Wheel of fortune: in which the girls are given strange, extremely vague fortunes.

Love is in the air? More like injuries and stupidity.

I love rock n' roll: and apparently, Ricky and Briar Rose do, too.

You can't be a cult without a black cloak.

Mutated Dogs? What's in the water supply?

--

August 20, 2018

7:45:25 PM

Southern Sector

New Orleans, Louisiana

--

"You're looking really banged up." Maggie keeps her stride with Briar Rose, whose natural pace has slowed due to her injuries. Brushing the stray hairs away from her forehead, Maggie cut her eyes at her sister, looking the girl up and down. Saying she was a little worse for wear was a complete understatement; torn fabric, bruises marring her skin, and a limp rather fierce. It was going to be rather amusing seeing what kind of excuse she came up with tomorrow about some of the more superficial injuries that could be seen.

Maggie combed her loose hairs back into her bun, having an easier time walking down the long hall. She was a little dirty but compared to her sister, who had the middle name Scrappy Doo, she was left with no marks from the battle. Since, she of course, wasn't the one that was fighting the insane creature that gave Briar Rose a run for her money. Although she was a little dirty and a bit tired from her exhausted spiritual energy, Maggie fortunately still had enough pep in her step to rub it in Briar Rose's face.

Briar Rose scoffs, giving Maggie a look, "Well duh. I was thrown around by fuckin' Slender Man Skeletor. You were there, or was my pain not important enough to you?" Briar Rose raises her hand, jerking it as if she were going to hit Maggie.

"Okay now, you hit me again and you might mess up the only good hand you have left." Maggie teases, running just out of Briar Rose's reach and smacking her head against one of the ill-placed columns in the hallway. She reels back, then drops into a squat, groaning from the pain exploding across her forehead. The girl wished that she could say just her luck, but it was obvious she didn't have any.

Briar Rose laughs, patting Maggie on the back and running past her, "Don't mess up your only good face, Aneri!" Just as Briar Rose was about to round the corner, she skids to an abrupt halt and arched so that she wouldn't collide with the person who walked out in front of her. The woman herself didn't seem too bothered by Briar Rose's quick appearance as if she expected her to be there. "Oh! Researcher Dąbrowski, a surprise to see you here in the base and not out in the field."

Researcher Dąbrowski smiles at Briar Rose, then looks past her to Maggie who is staggering slowly towards them, a hand on her head to alleviate some of her pain. "Yes, while I wish it would have been under better circumstances...it's still very good to see you girls. I came all the way from Texas for this."

"Is it related to why the Commander called us back?" Maggie asks, "And what's in Texas?"

"Sightings of a pack of Ozark Howlers [1]." Researcher Dąbrowski's eyes gleam, "We've been following their migration patterns for the better part of the year, and somehow, we found a pack of them in Texas."