Chapter 2: You're Fired

A few days before

Steve hung up the phone and rubbed the side of his head. It was just ten in the morning and he already felt miserable. At this point, he didn't remember if he was miserable because of the work he did or if it was a company requirement that everyone should suffer. His thirty seconds of blissful rest soon came to an end and he returned to the phone for more calls.

When noon came by, he was the first out of his cubicle and down to the cafeteria. Perhaps it was because he'd been there for over 7 years now but the stress and pressure were finally wearing him down.

Working in a call center was not a glamorous job but the pay was surprisingly good, perhaps management knew that no one would do this for minimum wage and retain their sanity. It only took a month for him to lose all faith in humanity after all.

He ate his sandwich in peace, no one else sitting at his table. He didn't mind it too much since none of his coworkers shared his hobbies, which were mainly regarded as nerdy things such as coding and mecha stuff. Lunch time was also the only period of the day that he wasn't actually talking to someone. Being 26 and living alone, Steve was not a social butterfly. His circle of friends was also rather small consisting mainly of online friends. His break over, he returned to his cubicle to finish up the rest of the day. As soon as he sat down, the light blinked on his phone, signifying a customer waiting for assistance.

"Hello, Dramon Communications, how can I help you today?"

Steve listened but only halfheartedly, he wasn't really into it today. His gaze was towards the lobby where a commotion seemed to be taking place. There seemed to be a shouting match going on and there was a lot of arm waving.

(Well, this might prove entertaining.)

"One second Miss, I'll put you on hold while I go verify your information in our database alright?"

"I..okay, I swear I did make that payment though."

Steve put the receiver back on the base and held the call while he went to investigate the scene. Approaching, he quickly realized that the situation was already very escalated.

"SIR! You can't go in there, i'm going to call security if you do!"

The desk attendant was trying his hardest to be intimidating but the angry person was having none of it.

"You cut off my phone! Who do you think you are!? I want to speak to the person in charge, right NOW!"

(Oh boy, I'll try and get him to calm down so that this doesn't get worse.)

Steve stepped up slowly towards the two who were facing each other and tried to get their attention.

"Hey, what's going on? Anything I can help with?"

The visibly angry customer turned to look at Steve and eyed him up and down.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Steve, I work in customer service and maybe I can help you with your account?"

The man clenched his fists and drew a gun that was holstered on his waist, brandishing it wildly.

"Oh yeah Steve? You the motherfucker that closed my account!?"

Steve recoiled a few steps from the madman and lifted his hands in the air defensively.

"Woah now, I'm just here to help man."

"Don't you 'man' me! Your fucking company screwed me over! Because my phone got disconnected I missed an important call and I'm gonna lose my job!"