Chapter Twenty

I open a bleary eye and freeze, trying to remember what happened last night. There is another person in my bed and I don’t know who it is. I move as slowly as possible, trying to turn my head to get a better look. I move my hands slowly down my sides, relieved to feel fabric. At least I’m not naked … thank Christ for small mercies.

Whoever it is stretched out next to me is turned away, partially hidden under the quilt. I tentatively move my knee and recoil as I feel a hairy, solid thigh brush against mine.

My mouth feels like a small rodent had crawled into it and died in the night, and I really need to pee, but that’s the least of my problems. There is definitely a man in my bed and I have no idea who it is. He mumbles something unintelligible and shifts his position slightly, bringing an arm around my waist and pulling me closer.

I hold my breath, trying not to panic too much as I scan what little memory I have of last night. I remember going to Wades’ party and having a great time, but I don’t remember counting in the New Year at all. That is so not like me – I have never woken up with a stranger in my bed and a hangover this bad... and as for the memory blanks… that’s just weird. I try and extricate myself from underneath the muscled forearm, looking for any discernable clues like a tattoo, or a watch.

‘Lex, if you fidget once more, I swear I’ll kill you.’ the voice grumbles.

I flip onto my back as Dan groans, moving his arm out of the way.

‘This is why I never sleep with women.’ he mutters, pulling the duvet down to reveal his face. His eyes are bloodshot and his usually tanned skin had a grey tinge to it.

‘Christ, I feel like shit…I’m never gonna drink again.’ He attempts to sit up, before clutching his head and collapsing back against my pillows. ‘Nope, it’s no good. I’ll have to stay here all day.’

‘You’re wearing underwear, right?’ I ask with a croaky voice, raising the covers and peering down to check he’s not naked. ‘We didn’t… you know… do it, did we?’

‘Relax, mate. If by it you mean, did we have sex, then no. We didn’t. You don’t remember much about last night, do you?’

I put my arms over my head, covering my face. ‘I don’t remember anything!’ I squeak.

Dan chuckles, which turns into a coughing fit. ‘Jeez… I should really lay off the weed… We decided it would be a good idea if I slept here – just in case you were sick again. We were a bit worried you might choke or something.’

We? Whose ‘we’?’

‘Me and Taz … and Aaron.’ he replies, casually plumping up one of my pillows to get comfortable.

‘Aaron?!’ I squeak. ‘He saw me in my undies!?’

Maybe I haven’t woken up yet – this must be a weird nightmare. I am so, so, so ashamed right now. Enough of the new ‘live for the moment’ version of me. I want the old Lexie back – the one that doesn’t wake up with a pounding head and a lot of remembering to do.

‘He came to find me at the party because he was worried about you…’

I must look bewildered because he props himself up on one elbow and carries on explaining.

‘You were passed out in a corner so we found Tazzy and took you home.’

‘Oh dear….’

‘Actually, it was kinda funny. You could barely walk!’

I grab my pillow and hit him with as much force as I can muster. It’s a feeble attempt.

‘Ow!’ he says, grabbing the pillow and shoving it to one side. ‘So that’s the thanks I get for having to sleep in the same bed as you and praying that you didn’t vom on me?’