Chapter 13

A minute later the door opens and standing behind it is Sophia. Her face is red and puffy, she's obviously been crying. Her hair is a mess and she is in pajamas. "Come in" she tells me holding the door open. She walks up the stairs and I follow. She walks into a room and falls onto her bed. I walk in and see her room is a mess. Everywhere I look I see empty ice cream containers and crumpled candy wrappers. There's a pile of chocolate on her bed. I walk over picking it up. "What are you doing?" she asks annoyed but she doesn't seem to really care. "You can't eat all of this" I walk out of the room and put the candy bars in a cabinet behind some stuff I don't think she's ever going to look at. I walk back up stairs my attention now on the flat screen TV. The movie playing is 'The Notebook' then I look on the floor and see a mess of DVD cases. 'Dear John', 'The Vow', and even 'Cinderella'. Those are the only ones I can see but I can tell there are at least a few more under all of the junk. I sit down next to Sophia and she sits up next to me. She starts hysterically crying into her hands. I don't know what to do so I put my hand on her back trying to comfort her. "It's okay." I whisper. This makes her cry more. We sit in silence for about 5 minutes before Sophia says something. "I heard a rumor..." she faces me her eyes full of sadness, anger, regret, and jealousy? "Someone told me Nathan left the club last night with... With another girl... And they said the girl looked like you..." I don't know what to say. But Sophia continues "Listen, if it was you I hope you know that this is all just a misunderstanding. Me and Nathan are made for each other. And I'm not about to sit here and watch you take him from me. I am not going down without a fight. I really hope we can be friends but just so you know, Nathan's mine." I see her truly for the first time as she says this. Behind all that makeup and all those labels is just a monster with scales and sharp teeth. "Now." she puts a very fake smile on her face "What did you two do last night?"