Preserved

A Scream escaped my mouth. I heard footsteps stomping down the moldy stairs. 

"What is wrong!?" Laura's voice brought me back to reality. When I turned around I saw their mouths drop in horror at the sight. 

The dim light in the basement cast shadows of hundreds of glass jars piled up on shelves. The jars wasn't alarming, but what was inside shook us to the core. Dead animal bodies floated in preservatives. Cats, dogs, parrots and mice, you name it, all floated around in the jars with glassy eyes. Kevin's legs started shaking and he looked like he was about to pass out any second. 

"This dude is a psycho," Kevin croaked, then hurled around getting sick over the floor. I gulped hard and walked around the room looking at the jars with labels.

"EXP5"  

"KIDNY08"

"HRTSCIENCE01"

It seems Jaden collected the preserved animals to do science experiments. "Maybe he's a mad scientist?" I asked hopefully. My heart sank when I looked around the the room to see that Gabby wasn't somewhere tied up. It wasn't that I wanted her tied up, but it would be better than Gabby laying dead and alone somewhere. 

"Or maybe he just has a weird kink," kevin replied

I tried to supress a laugh behind my hand. It wasn't the appropriate moment to laugh, but I couldn't help myself. My smile faded when I saw my pug ,that went missing a year ago, inside a jar. 

"No. He is a sick person." I said coldly with tears  forming in my eyes. Laura came to stand by my side, putting her hand on my shoulder. 

"Are you Okay?" she asked looking at me.

"That was my Dog," I replied in a whisper. Laura was about to say something when Kevin tapped on our shoulder. 

"I think he's back..."

I heard the door above us open, and Jaden cussing at the broken window.