Big Iron Part III: Agua Fria

"So, this takes place in a sleepy little town down in New Mexico called Agua Fria." Mae began. "Fun fact, agua fria meant 'cold water'. So, this town was named after it having cold water..." Mae mocked. "Anyway, it was early morning, and everyone was just getting their day started."

"How do you know?" Ewan interjected.

"What?" Mae was confused.

"How do you know it was morning and everyone was still sleeping?"

"Have you even listened to this song before now? It says it right there in the second verse!" Mae yells. "Anyway..." She continues. "This Arizona Ranger rides into town and starts poking around the town, never really speaking to any of the townsfolk. He gave 'em all a hell of a fright though. Guy like that shows up in town with this gigantic revolver by his side, and well... folks definitely got to talking. So, the Ranger stops at the local saloon and parks his horse. He starts asking if anyone had heard about Texas Red, and that he's a Ranger who was sent over to see if he could rustle up any information about the outlaw. He was met with a lot of 'I don't know nothing's and some frightful gazes around the room."

"Of course, no one was actually that oblivious to the goings on of the town, they were just afraid Red was gonna kill them if they dared to say anything about him. So of course, only a couple hours later, not long before high noon did Red step out from the shadows and call out to the Ranger. Red wasn't worried of course, he'd dealt some swift southern justice to anyone that had come for him before, and as far as he knew, this Ranger was going to be no different. The townspeople figured they knew the fate of the Ranger just as well as Texas Red did. They watched solemnly from the street corners and the doorways of the businesses, hoping that this handsome ranger wasn't going to be the next tally mark on Red's revolver.

"The Ranger and Red took their stances, forty paces apart, and waited for the town's bell to chime high noon. The following minutes were agonizing for the townsfolk. The clock struck twelve and a shot rang out across the sleepy little town. But when the townspeople opened their eyes, they were met with a very unusual sight. The face staring back at the people was not of Texas Red, as it had been over a dozen times before, but it was instead of the Arizona Ranger's. Texas Red had finally met his match. This strange Ranger that no one knew anything about, not even a name, had been the one to fell the mighty Texas Red. When the townsfolk came over to inspect Red's body, they had found that he didn't even manage to draw his gun from his holster before he was struck down. And as swiftly as the Ranger had entered the town only a few hours earlier, he was gone. Some of the townspeople would have you believe that it was the spirit of Doc Holliday who'd come from beyond the grave to give his old buddy Wyatt Earp a helping hand, but I say that it was probably just some tired old cop who was sick of having to hear about this Texas Red guy, so he decided to take matters into his own hands."

Matt begins to slowly clap. "Wow Mae. Impressive. You managed to talk over the ENTIRE song."

Mae groans. "Can't you guys ever not be smartasses for just two seconds? I'm sharing my knowledge with you and all I get is that in return? Gee thanks. Y'know why did you guys even come with me if you're just gonna bellyache the whole time?"

"Sorry Mae, I was just busting your balls. I appreciate the story, I promise. I was just giving you a hard time. That's what friends do right?" Matt looks up from the back and and makes brief eye contact with Ewan. 

"It's whatever." Mae says, somewhat defeatedly. "We're getting a bit low on gas. Gonna need to pull into somewhere if we don't reach the city in time."

"God, anywhere with some A/C please." complains Matt.

"I'm sure that the gas station will have something for ya, buddy. Anyway, whaddya say we restart the song and actually listen it this time, eh?" Mae looks around, her companions nod in agreement. 

"From the top!" Mae yells while slamming the cassette tape back into the player.