Training 23

When mom told us about dad's gang I wanted to run away and never look back. I was petrified but not of my dad. I am nearly 18 years old and my dad was keeping this secret for years. This explained all the time's dad left in the middle of the night and he would not return for days at a time. Dad always used a different excuse besides the real truth. I never understood why all this happened, until now. Although some of this story just does not add up completely. Bailey and I stood up and walked outside on the back porch, as we were trying to comprehend all this at once.

  We both sat down on the patio chairs when we both took a deep breath and looked at each other.

   "Halley I don't know what to believe" Bailey sighed.

"We will get through this. Trust me I don't understand how dad lied to me all these years. He would just leave in the middle of the night and not come back for a while," I explained hoping my words could persuade her.

    "Yeah, but how did mom keep this from me? She never told me about dad or you! I'm so frustrated right now. Why do parents lie to their kids?" She said as a tear began to fall down her cheek. When Bailey gets mad she starts crying.

               "Bailey it's going to be okay. I won't ever leave your side again," I exclaimed getting out of my chair, walking toward Bailey's chair. I squatted down next to her and just held her as she cried. A few moments past and mom comes back outside.

               "Girls I'm sorry you found out this way. But I believe that you're old enough to realize what's actually happening. If your father has no complications, he should be back by morning, and it's almost midnight. If he does, I might have to go help out. Your dad took all the men with him. Why don't you two go upstairs and get some rest? When he gets back I will tell him everything and we will all talk together as a family." mom explained to us as she tried to hold back the tears. I knew mom was about to break.

                  "Yes ma'am, " Bailey spoke, looking at mom across from her.

                  "Yes, ma'am we love you, mom! Goodnight!" Bailey and I spoke at the same time. We both giggled as we started to do it more and more often.

                  "Goodnight girls! Your father and I love you two both so much! We have never been happier than we are together as one," mom said as she was starting to get teary-eyed.

                    Bailey and I walked up stairs and we went to sleep. We tossed and turned multiple times, trying to sleep but all we could think about was what had happened the past week. So much has happened. After tossing and turning for awhile, we finally fell fast asleep.

                     I though I was dreaming until I heard the doors slamming shut and things being thrown around down stairs. When I woke up, Bailey was already peeping out the bedroom door. I think I startled her when she nearly jumped and hit her head on the door. I touched her shoulder trying to get her attention.

                       "You never listen do you? I done told you, it's time for them to start training! I was 13 years old when I started! What don't you understand that this will be good for them?" Dad shouted.

                     When Bailey and I was peeping out the door, we saw Aiden's bedroom open up, I guess dad woke up everyone in the house. Aiden was as confused as we were. We both knew we heard what dad said. My heart began beating out of my chest. I could not breathe, I was having an anxiety attack. I tried calming my breathing down, until Bailey and Aiden realized what was happening. They tried calming me down but it was no use.

                    "Dad! Mom! Hurry Halley is having another attack! Hurry!" Bailey screamed as loud as she could, louder than dad.

                   You could hear the footsteps charging up the stairs. Dad was the first one with mom close behind him. They both looked at me, and that's when it hit me. I blacked out.

                   A little while later I woke up. No one was in sight. I slowly got up and started to wonder around. I wonder where everyone is?

                   "Dad? Mom? Bailey? Aiden? Hello is anyone home?" I tried shouting as loud as I could.

                 "I'm glad your awake sweetie, we need to have a talk," dad insisted. "But first let me go get everyone else, this is a family meeting."

                   A few moments went by and then everyone was seated on the couch waiting for dads message.

                    "I'm sorry about yesterday morning,"

                     "Yesterday morning!?" I screamed.

                    "Sweetheart you have been asleep for a day. It's alright dear, you passed out and we laid you down for you to sleep. I called the doctor he thinks your having too much stress lately, but I know a way to get rid of all that. As I was saying," he insisted. I knew dad was doing only what's best for us, but I cannot keep on passing out like this.

                    "I'm sorry about yesterday morning, your mother and I just had some differences. But I need to tell you all something and this cannot leave the room. Halley, Bailey, and Aiden, I'm sorry we lost Ethan I tried doing everything I could, but we need to be strong for him. And know that he is in heaven and he is rejoicing with the Lord. But I need you to listen very carefully, I am the leader of a very powerful group. We are called The Phoenix Pirates. We are a big family just like us, except we protect each other no matter what. And I will do anything to protect my family and my Pirates. But your father is getting very old and I cannot move like I use to."
Dad paused.

              "What I'm trying to say is that I am so sorry for everything you each have been through. I wish I could reverse time and take away all the bad memories each of you has had. But unfortunately I cannot do that. The Phoenix Pirates is a secret group that no one knows about. Except for your uncle, Aiden's dad. He was suppose to be my right hand man, when he refused and nearly tried to destroy us. He wanted to be the leader, but that was my position and it always has been. But now I am slowing down, and I cannot do the things I use to do when I was younger. Your father is nearly forty-eight now. And that's what I need to talk to you about. When the leader turns fifty years old, he or she is required to step down and hand over the leadership to the next first born child. Whether it's Halley, Bailey, or you Aiden. But it is my choice, I have to pick the strongest mentally and physically. So over the next few months or one year, we will train each of you to become a part of The Phoenix Pirates. One will be the Chief, one will be the right hand man, and one of you will become the co-leader."

               "One of you will be the Chief, the Chief is to attend every meeting and every mission. The right hand man will make sure all the men are in order and will be by the chiefs side. And the co-leader is almost a right hand man but not quite, the co-leader will step up if anything happens to the chief."

            "Your training will begin tomorrow morning!"