{Chapter Seventeen}

"So does Joan have a boyfriend?" Jake asked as he and Lauren shopped at the mall for Christmas presents.

  "Uh, I don't think so," Lauren said as she stopped to look at one of the many shoe displays.

   When they were younger; Ruth organized a secret Santa gift exchange between the group of five friends, and they continued the tradition every year. Lauren got Monroe this year, and she was stumped on what to give her friend that she hadn't already in past. Monroe already had everything too. They all did now that Lauren thought about it.

  "A few guys at the show were asking about her, but she's not a Christian so I was wary about saying anything," Jake explained. 

  "She isn't, but she's a good person," Lauren said. "I don't know if she's right for any of your friends though. She has a strange sense of humor. I'm not sure they would get her."

  "Hope says she can be kind of crude," Jake said as they walked on from the shoe display. "I don't think she's thrilled that you and Wren are so close to them. She wouldn't tell me any details though. I didn't want to say anything and upset you, but I thought you should know what Hope is saying."

  Lauren felt a flash of anger go through her. "I hardly see how my friendship with Joan is any of her business. She doesn't even know Joan. They haven't been close since they were kids so I don't see why she's suddenly she's the resident expert."

  Jake looked surprised at the strength of his girlfriend's reaction. "Hey, I'm just saying what Hope told me. You should take this up with her. I liked Joan when I met her. Henry too. He's sort of different, but he seems harmless. Wren seems happy with him anyway."

  "She is," Lauren said; trying to calm down. "I'm sorry, but Hope really bugs me with this stuff. Do you think I'd hang out with Joan if she was a horrible person? I don't want to be treated like a child that doesn't know any better. I'm not."

  "I know sweetheart," Jake said, and he wrapped an arm around her waist. "I think you need to talk to Hope though. She's upset, I think. Maybe she feels left out?"

  "She seemed okay at the party."

  "Well, I don't think she is. She called me after the party, and we talked about it for quite a while."

  "Hope calls you?" Lauren asked; feeling another rush of anger.

  "Uh, yeah," Jake said; his eyebrows going up. "Is that a problem?"

 "Since when are you guys best friends?"

 "We're not best friends, but we are friends," Jake said with a laugh. "You aren't jealous, are you?"

  Lauren wasn't jealous. She was annoyed thinking about them talking about her behind her back, but Jake seemed to like the idea she was jealous.

  "No..."

  "Yes you are!" Jake was still laughing. "You don't have anything to worry about, baby. We just check in with each other once in a while, and she's concerned about your friendship with Joan. Hope doesn't think her cousin is a good influence."

  "She doesn't think Joan is a good influence?" Lauren had to laugh even though there was nothing funny about it, and she was fuming inside. "God, her and Ruth have this whole Mom routine down!"

  "They just love you," Jake said, and he kissed her on the cheek. "You're lucky to have friends that care about you so much."

  "No, they're nosy and controlling." Lauren corrected. "That isn't the same thing as caring."