Chapter 1: Slapped (edited)

I glanced up the clear, blue sky and let the cool air into my lungs. "I'm finally done with college, with school, with everything!" 

And it became official, me and my crew are now unemployed.

"Say cheese!" My mom, Julia, held her iPhone 13 and insisted to take a solo shot of me for one last time. I saw her a bit teary eyed as I looked to her phone. She fought a smile hoping that I won't notice. Seeing her silent joy made my smile 100% genuine. Of course, I didn't want to cry in front of everyone so I told Julia to give me a minute before I escaped to join my friends.  

I playfully reach and pulled Steve's dark brown hair. He briskly turned around and caught my hand knowing that it had to be me. No one ever did that to him since we met 6 years ago. He smiled with his cheekbones and eyes while holding my hand, "Yeah yeah, I'm gonna miss my bestfriend. Don't worry" 

"Boy, I know you're gonna miss me a lot," I chuckled while we head to our friends. We've been best friends for so long since he saw me getting bullied on a rainy Wednesday, 6 years ago. Since then, no one ever crossed me. I think I really got lucky that my bestfriend was a popular, handsome athlete. Boys respected him. Girls had a crush on him. Me? I was just trying to balance acads and partying. Just a regular, cute, college kid. 

"FINALLY, you two are here. Quick. Let's take a group photo!" Nico shouted. He's the gay slash matchmaker of our group. I mean not necessarily a successful matchmaker though. It's been months since he tried to create a spark between me and Chloe. His stone was just not creating the spark between me and Chloe. 

Not that she was not attractive. She was. She had many admirers in fact. To be honest, there were moments that I would look at her in a very non-friendly way. I'd observe here broad shoulders and plump lips. She always had a fiery look and energy. She was really attractive and smart. She always gave us reviewers, answers and test leaks. If there was a Dream Team, you could call us the Cheat Team.

Come to think of it...it's probably cos she's straight as a ruler. That's why I'm not interested to act on my minor attraction to her. It's a dead end. 

Before we left the campus, we had a quick meeting about the party tonight. Chloe, being the natural leader of this group, spoke, "Listen up. Have fun with your family lunch, go get some rest after, wear something hot and see you tonight. Okay?"

She added, "Be there at 10pm. Don't be fucking late, okay?" She turned her eyes on me and Steve who was already giggling, "Especially you two"

"Why us?" I teased Chloe. She raised her eyebrows, "Seriously, you two slowpokes are like from different time zone." You were even late for your graduation." Before I could come up with a comeback, Chloe checked her phone, "My ride's here. Bye guys. See you tonight and congrats to us"

============================================================

(10pm, Underground Club)

It's 2023 and who doesn't vape? The place was smoking literally. The noise blasted through the roof and every beat was starting to pump my energy. Lights were dancing along the carefree crowd. Something inside me was waking up.