Chapter 5

Thank you all for your support. It means so much to me. I hope you enjoy the chapter. I will have another one for you next Friday. Have a great weekend. :)

(Blaine)

I pulled into the driveway shortly before five-thirty. Parking in front of the garage, instead of inside it like I usually do, I grabbed my briefcase from the passenger seat and got out.

I made a beeline for the door, letting myself into the house. I set my briefcase and keys on the small table near the door and headed to the kitchen, where I found Hayden drinking from the carton of orange juice.

"Don't do that," I scolded him.

Hayden lowered the carton and wiped his mouth on the back of his hand. "The carton is almost empty. I'm going to finish it."

"Where's your grandma?" I asked, loosening my tie.

He pointed at the ceiling. "Upstairs."

"And your brother and sister?"

Hayden shrugged. "Don't know, don't care."

I sighed heavily. "What are your plans for tonight?"

"I have a date." He took another drink of juice. "I'm taking Jennifer to a movie. After that I thought we'd hookup in the backseat of my car."

I knew he was trying to get a rise out of me, and I was determined not to take the bait.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" he said, smirking.

"Sit down," I said quietly. "We need to have a talk."

"If it's about sex, we've already had that talk."

"We're going to have it again." I moved around the island, pausing before him. "Are you having sex, Hayden?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Are you, Dad?"

"I am trying to have an important conversation with you," I said calmly. "I would appreciate it if you would take it seriously." I rubbed the back of my neck. "Look, I'm not going to forbid you from having sex. I could, but at the end of the day it's your life and you have to be the one to make the decision. Besides, forbidding you would make me a hypocrite. I was around your age when I became sexually active."

"Does Grandma know that?" he inquired.

"Yes, and for the longest time she was disappointed in me." I cleared my throat. "She eventually got over it. Are you having sex? I won't be disappointed if you say yes."

Hayden looked into my eyes and said, "No, I'm not having sex."

I hid the relief I was feeling behind a blank expression. "When you do decide to have sex remember to wear a condom. Condom's aren't one hundred percent foolproof against pregnancy and STDs, but they're far better than nothing at all."

"I know, Dad," he said.

"Sex is not something to be taken lightly." I squeezed his shoulder. "Just be careful, Son. Every action has a consequence."

He nodded.

Leaving the kitchen, I walked through the entrance hall and up the stairs. I ran into Jonah on the landing. "How was school?" I asked.