Chapter 2

Dani

The music was roaring as we arrived, and I could see the bright lights as we pulled into Lola's parents' driveway. As we entered through the side gates, the thudding from the bass pulsed through my body. Sloan pulled me to an area where other people were dancing. The air was hot and filled with the scent of sweat and the distant smell of wood burning from a nearby fire pit.

"I'll be right back," I leaned into Sloan. "I'm going to go find Sammy." She nodded and continued dancing. I made my way through the herd of teenagers blocking the path of the kitchen.

"Dani?" The deep, sultry voice lingered in my head. Leaning against the counter stood a tall creamy skinned boy with deep blue eyes. His chocolate-kissed hair hung loosely around his ears. His eyes peeked through his bangs—his gaze held me like they always did, seductively.

"Holy shit. I did not expect to see you here."

"Hey, Logan." my cheeks burned from embarrassment. He sucked in the bottom of his lip before releasing it with an exhale.

"What?" I nervously blurted out.

"Nothing." A flash of redness filled his cheeks. "You look—you look good tonight. I mean you look good every day. Not that I have been checking you out. Shit. I mean, not that you're not totally check out-able. Is that a word? God. I'm sorry. I've been drinking. Where was I going with this?" He began to fidget with his cup. I let out a small giggle.

"Thank you, Logan."

"Yeah... sure." He smiled.

"You haven't seen Sammy around here yet, have you?"

"No, I haven't." He said, quickly taking a sip from his cup as I suddenly became aware of how the mood changed.

"Okay?" I raised a brow. "Well, how about Lola... or Jamie?"

"I think Jamie is out back by the pool with Thomas and the rest of the guys." His complexion returned to its natural peach-like state.

"And Lola?" I asked.

"Think she went upstairs ten minutes ago." Ah, yes. always the perfectionist. She must have done one of her many outfit changes.

"Thanks, Logan." I passed by him only to feel a hitch as he grabbed my wrist, pulling me back.

"Wait." He sighed. I didn't say anything as I slid my wrist out of his gentle grasp and waited for him to speak. "Maybe you should just stay down here and hang out a bit." Weird. My cheeks flooded red again and I had to turn away to stop myself from blushing like a little schoolgirl again. I take a deep breath. "Thank you but I want to go say hello. I'll come back and hang out after." I smiled and walked away.

I climbed up the stairs and searched for Lola. To my surprise, Lola wasn't in her bedroom. I scoured the second floor, in search of my best friend. To my dismay, she wasn't anywhere to be found. I turned to go down the stairs again but soft words hit my ears.

I followed.

I followed it all the way until I was at the end of the hall where Lola's parents' bedroom was. I knocked. The voices stopped. I knocked again before entering.

"Lol, is that you? Are you here?" I called out as I opened the door. There stood a shirtless Lola with cheeks flushed red.

"Dani, wh- what are you doing here?" she questioned, almost out of breath.

"Sloan dragged me here." I said and rolled my eyes.

"Am I interrupting something?" I analyzed her up and down, gesturing to her very visible violet bra.