Always Number Two

"Why do I have to do that?" I demand as he leans back against the wall. "Apologize for hitting her!"

He ignores me.

"Why won't you?" He asks, tone infuriating. "Are you still afraid you'd lose to me? That your knee's going to blow up again?"

"Shut up." I hiss back, my eyes wide with anger and hatred. "If I hadn't stepped down, you'd still be number two. You were always number two, weren't you?"

He clenches his teeth.

"Then you will have a match with me." He says as he suddenly grips my wrist, pulling me towards the building I knew so well. "I've always wanted to see how good I've gotten."

My mind goes blank.

Even though I'd been better than him in the past, that had been two years ago. While I was out of practice, he'd probably been training.

But my anger gets the best of me.

"Fine." I hiss, snatching my hand back. "And touch me like that again, and consider having my foot shoved down your throat."

________________________

The memories come blooming once I put the helmet on, strapping the straps over my chin. My heart races as I look over the familiar blue matting of the dojo.

"Ready?" Jisung smirks, and I purse my lips together as I draw my body into the familiar position.

"Shut up."

Thankfully, modern dance had kept my body flexible and attentive. But the fact that I was so out of practice dragged my confidence down.

I feint left, an exhilarating smile blooming on my lips when he falls for it.

My foot slams into his calf, and while it should've floored him— he remains upright. His face sours in recognization.

"You always fell for that." I hiss as I attack first, twisting my body completely and swinging my foot in hopes of knocking him out.

But then pain blinds my eyes when I feel his foot crash into the side of my head. Stars blink as I stumble back dazedly.

I put up my hands just in time as he strikes again, gasping when I nearly lose my balance and fall.

Losing my balance would mean the end.

Ignoring the burning pain in my head, I recall the move that I'd used in competitions before— the move that had gotten me first place at Nationals.

But when I bend forward, I realize with horror that I can't do it.

I'm out of practice.

Then my blood turns to ice as I feel another knockout hit straight onto the back of my head. The helmet tumbled off at the impact, and I crumple to the ground with darkness quickly blinding the corners of my vision.

I lost.

"You fought well." I hear his fading voice, mocking as always as my eyes stare blank and straight. My head pounds.

"You know, you have backbone." He says bemusedly, and I can feel distantly him pulling a strand of my hair.

"And I think I like that."

_______________________

Jimin's POV

"Since this is the first day, we'll end it earlier than usual." Hoseok says as I draw my sleeve over my forehead. "But expect much longer lessons from now on."