Glimmers of Gold

As dawn approached, the sun rose high with glimmers of gold and the leaves from the giant sequoia's rustled from the gentle breeze that blew through the town of Oakheart. The townspeople all started to rise from their beds and begin their morning routines, some would go for a morning jog or a morning flight, some others would prefer the coffee option as they sat in their kitchen listening to the soft rustling of the nearby leaves and waited for the kettle to finish boiling the water that lay dormant inside.

A small band of friends we're found scattered within the town, however, Oakheart was not all sun and glimmer, this was a town that was always under siege by the turned souls from the shadow zone, the bells tolled from the defence towers as knights rushed to their posts and guns unfolded from the walls they were trapped in, cannon fire let out deafening blasts as they started to kill the evil that lurked within. The bells stopped as the siege was stopped, for now.

Teagan, a young girl had been awoken by the sound of the cannon fire and she jolted up in a cold sweat, screaming. Her nightmares were surreal for her as she relived her best friends death every night. In her dreams, she saw her friend turning black, their eyes slowly fading away as the carcass of the body began to float and its mouth stretched and screeched. She couldn't get the image of her friend, a minion of the shadow realm out of her head.

She had friends who knew she struggled with this dream, many of the residents struggled with this, and so, every week on Saturday a moment of silence was given to the fallen. A graveyard kept expanding in the town, weeping parents and lovers stood over the graves. Teagan joined them and stood over her friend. The gravestone read, 'Here lies a loved one, a friend, a father and a saviour. Anoriath Homodo Shimada.'

As Teagan continued to read the grave, she couldn't help but cry, her tears watering the grass. However, his death was not in vain, he died saving Teagan. She turned around to see two people walking up towards the grave. Katie and Josh, two close friends who had also lost people close to them. They saw Teagan in tears and ran towards her as they all had a group hug. She felt her tears subsiding as they dried against her cheeks.

Katie and Josh suggested Teagan should walk around the town, she nodded at their suggestion and as she began her journey she saw many species that Anoriath had saved, Elves, Humans, Dwarfs and other variations. She saw the great tree sway in the wind as a boy was looking over the edge of one of the floors, ''Teagan!" The boy shouted and she smiled, the boy had disappeared out of sight and ran the flew off the edge of the tree, landing with elegance as he looked up and smiled at Teagan. "Morning Teagan!" The boy said to her in a joyful manner. She replied, "Hey Kailo, sleep well?" He nodded and bowed, he was one of the Elven species, and Teagan was part of the human species. Their hands joined together like a pair of wings settling after a flight as they walked around the glimmering town, the sun shining high in the sky as the baby blue of the sky stretched for miles, she smiled knowing Anoriath watched over her.

Kailo and Teagan met back up with Katie and Josh, who had also found Zithli, Benjamin, Kyra and Crystal. This small band of friends we're always together and helped each other through hell and high water. But, Teagan let go of Kailo's hand. She felt a familiar presence behind her and turned around, a small portal had opened that everyone could see. She smiled and looked towards it as a mist came through, a familiar face was morphed and the rest of the body followed. "I'm glad to see you're safe, Teagan." She walked towards the face and cried for joy. "Anoriath..." She wept. He smiled and looked at her. "I have to go, my time was short but I'm trying to watch over you. But, I have one piece of advice." He looked at the group and pointed at the wall. They all turned to look and they all stumbled back, darkness was creeping in. "Run," Anoriath shouted. "Run and don't return, just run north!"