Shimmers of Shadow

They ran north, following Anoriath's wish as he slowly disappeared into a hazy mist that was surrounded by lightning. Teagan felt her tears coming back as she watches Anoriath dissipate into thin air and yet she and her friends fled into the unknown. She guided them into the Shadow Realm, a place no mortal could survive, a place not even Anoriath could survive. They squeezed through a small crack between the walls where the darkness crept in and they felt their souls being dragged in different directions, struggling to stay sane.

The darkness held onto their skin like spiders did to their webs, Benjamin began to hum an ancient song that his ancestors used to sing when they ever feared something. They felt the mist of the Shadow Realm lurking around each of their legs and their heart rate increased as the adrenaline kicked in, they all clumped together as if something was about to leap out and take them into the Shadow Realm. Kyra's senses were correct as she turned around and in her face was the face of a victim of the Realm, screaming but making no sound. Kyra began to shake violently as her arms twisted in unnatural ways and her head turned 180° to face the others, her eyes pure white as she began to laugh, coughing up blood as her breath. "We're coming for you," Kyra stated as she slowly began to disappear into nothing besides a face, screaming yet making no sound.

It all happened so suddenly, the group had no time to react and so they all clumped together, their backs facing each other as they looked around, surrounded by lost souls, taken souls and unforgiving souls. As they felt their death closing in, a whistle was heard just towards the dying forest and all their heads swivelled to look. Just as they did a masked girl ran towards the group, she seemed human and she planted down a device that causes the screaming souls to calm and move away, giving the masked girl time to get the group out of there and towards the dying forest.

"That was only the easy part." Said the girl as she looked over her shoulder at the terrified group of kids. White light then grew out of the ground as bodies then rose from the black dirt. The masked girl grabbed a knife from her sheathe that lay on her back, a ripped leather holder held a gun, but it was modified, at least that's what Teagan could make out. The girl told the kids to stop as she ran towards the bodies with her gun in one hand and knife in the other, she knew that the bodies could be harmed. Before the group could watch, the girl had sliced and shot the bodies and cleared the path, a small cabin becoming visible.

"Who are you?!" Crystal shouted as she ran out of breath. "Who I am doesn't matter--for now." They reached the cabin and the girl kicked open the door and waited for the kids to enter, before slamming it shut. The blackness didn't follow inside the house, it seemed bright and colourful. "Anoriath sent you, didn't he?" The girl questioned the group and Teagan nodded. "Listen, our town was just taken by them.. we have nowhere to go. Just tell us, who are you?" Zithli asked the mysterious girl with a slight dwarven accent. The girl took her mask off and put her hood down, revealing long brown hair and slightly pale skin due to her prolonged exposure to the Realm. "The names Sadie." She said in a cocky tone. Teagan looked to the floor and around the cabin before she held her head in pain, the cabin seemed familiar. She saw images of another group in the cabin, when the darkness wasn't outside, a girl vanishing near a mirror. "What the hell?!" Teagan shouted as she fell to the ground in pain.

Sadie scoffed and shook her head. "Great, I have to deal with a-- " her speech was cut off as she saw Teagan becoming transparent as she was in her visions. "Before you stay here, I should probably tell you." Teagan looked up at her and so did the rest of the group.
Sadie sheathed her knife and emptied the magazine of her gun before resting it on an old, rotting piece of wood. "This cabin has been here even before the darkness. This is where the darkness started. Those souls are-- well.. that was what Anoriath was up against years ago."  Teagan looked shocked as she ran towards Sadie before disappearing into a bright realm. Anoriath was standing there and he smiled. "Welcome to the rift realm. I see you found where it all started. Where the Eyes came into existence."