Kippah Changes you

I hold tight to the Kippah that lays softly on my head. My Kippah, the most important add on to my outfit, It goes with everything yet it feels weird that I'm wearing it.

When I was 13 I had a bar mitzvah and I was okay with wearing it then. Now it feels different, maybe it's because I haven worn it in years or that I'm lying to myself about my religion.

Before today my religion wasn't very important to me neither was it extremely important to my parents.But after some Jewish family friends got deported back to Israel, my mom made it her duty to become orthodox agin.

*

Looks, both a good thing and a bad thing. But in this case it's very very bad, standing out at  Elite High could be monumental. Our school was diverse, definitely diverse but they are anything but religious. No body cared much about religion , well if they did I wouldn't know it.

Every thing felt in slow motion, like world stoped and looked at me.Running  would let the eyes of the world feel extinct.Running would make things easier. But running would stand for every thing in against

Legally me and my parents are allowed here but when it comes to rich peoples unessasary safety, legally they don't care.

*

Harper my best friend didn't say hi, and didn't acknowledge my existence. My Kippah is supposed to be a covering but it's only covering the real me.

I sit down in my first period class (math) and just when Mr. Lan was starting the class he stoped mid sentence, and came so close to my ear I got chills.
" No hats in class" He whispered sternly
"It's not a hat " I say in the utmost respectful voice.
*
Already sent to the principals office and the day just began. Gratefully Luna my girlfriend was in the office for a band aid but just her presence made me ashamed. My steps felt heavier like weighs holding me down from walking into the principals office. Brainstorming what kind of excuse I could tell her about was impossible.
" hey" I half whispered shyly
*no response*
"Um Luna hello"
*no response *

I walk aimlessly into the principals office and the only thing on my mind is her.