Stuck In The Dark With You Two

Serena, the wiry, brown-haired hybrid, slipped through the darkness, making her way towards the dark hole in the ground.
"Max? Max, you down there?" she called, leaning over and peering into the darkness.
"Yeah...I'm still down here..." Max's faint voice replied, quietened by the distance between them.
As his voice reached her ears, Serena gave herself a shake, allowing herself to slip into the form of a jackel. Waving her plumy tail, she plunged into the hole. Her fur swirled in the breeze, cold air biting into her skin. Darkness swirled around her, and she resisted the urge to close her eyes, shielding herself from the ominous shadows.
Catching sight of a small glint of silver, Serena reached out, her paws searching for something, as she fell. Suddenly, with an worryingly loud CREAK, her paws latched onto a cold, metal ledge. Instantly, her thin, black claws slid out, trying to gain any kind of purchase on the smooth surface.
Pulling on all of her strength, Serena hoisted herself up, into the wide, metal tunnel beyond. She paused for a moment, catching her breathe, as she lay on the cold floor.
"I was wondering when you were going to be back. You...worried me, for a second." Max sighed, the sound of pawsteps drawing closer.
Serena glanced up, catching sight of a familiar speckled hyena trotting her way.
"Was everything OK while I was gone?" she asked, a tinge of worry entering her voice.
"Everything was just fine. Dahlia's asleep, and I've been keeping watch since you left." Max replied, with a fond smile.
"Did you find anything?" Max inquired, after a few minutes of silence, his tail wagging with anticipation.
"There wasn't anything edible that I could find, I'm afraid. But...there's a small camp nearby, close to one of the fallen skyscrapers. I didn't get close enough to check it out, but I think I saw people there." Serena explained, grinning, as she watched excitement creep across Max's face.
"Well we'll check it out later. For now, you need to get some rest." he said, nudging her to her feet.
Serena smiled, softly, as Max helped her back to their camp, his tail twined around her's.