Chapter eight- flashback

Child Val's pov

I watched Lana as she glared at my brothers, she was a firecracker my dad had said. When I asked him what he meant, he explained. She was feisty, ready to fire off at anyone who she didn't like, or had a problem with something they said. She had a fighting spirit.

I loved hearing this about her, and now that I knew what to look for, I knew he was right. And I hoped that fight would never leave her. Without it, she would be an empty shell. I felt a strange sort of pain in my chest at the thought of that, I put my hand to my chest. Wondering why it had done that.

I looked up at her as I heard her running for me, my heart racing now instead. She sat next to me, leaning into me some. I put my arm around her, protectively. I didn't want anything hurting or coming near her if I was around. She fell asleep not long after and I picked her up, putting her legs around my waist and arms around my neck. Carrying her over to my brothers who looked at us with knowing looks.

Only problem was, I had no idea what they knew. I shrugged it off as I just held Lana, she was light, like always. And small. Her head barely reached my shoulder when we stood next to each other. I got in the car after my brothers, but kept her close. Part of me not wanting to ever let her go. She was my best friend after all.

Then I figured it out, why she made my heart race and ache, my cheeks heat up, my eyes water when she was hurt or in danger, I loved her. My gaze moved to her adorable sleeping face, she looked so sweet and vulnerable. And all I wanted to do was keep her safe from the world. I knew how bad it was.

She didn't, not yet. I just knew I planned to stay by her side through everything. We got home and I took Lana over to her house and knocked on the door, still carrying her.

I smiled at her dad as he opened the door. A light chuckle came from him as he gently took her and set her on his hip, her head falling to his shoulder with a small thud. I frowned, concerned for her head before looking up at her dad.

"Thank you for taking care of my little Lana, Val. I don't know what we would do if she didn't have you to keep an eye on her. Always running around and being reckless." He kissed her head and tightened his hold on her.

"Your welcome. I like being with her. She makes me happy." I admitted, blushing as I gently poked her side. She squirmed a little in her sleep, that spot was so ticklish. Her dad chuckled again.

"She never stops talking about you either. Always asking when she can go see ValVal again. Well, you should probably head home. You can come get her in the morning after breakfast, or stay here and watch movies with blankets and snacks." Her dad said before patting my shoulder then heading in, the door closing behind him.

If I stayed there with blankets and movies, I could hug her the whole time, or most of the time. Without my brother picking on us. My mind was decided and I practically skipped home. Excited for the next morning.

Child Lana's pov

I woke up slowly, stretching and yawning. Trying to remember everything that happened yesterday as I got up to go shower. After I was done I dried myself off before pouting as my hair wouldn't dry faster. It was still dripping and the towel didn't have any dry spots left.

I got my clothes on and ran downstairs to find daddy, before running up and hugging his upper leg as I looked up at him.

"Daddy, my hair is still all drippy. The towel is all wet too." He laughed and picked me up, taking me back to the bathroom before he got the hair dryer working and used it to dry my hair.

I flinched when the hot air hit my face, it hurt a bit. Even though it was just hot air. I danced around once my hair was dry before hugging him again. He chuckled as he hugged me back. Then he ruffled my hair, I quickly escaped as I squealed. I fixed my hair before running back to the kitchen, pretending I was a flying birdie.

I loved birdies. They were so pretty and were such good flyers. I pretending to tweet once I came to a stop. My dad was walking after me, laughing and smiling.

"Val is probably going to come over soon. I'm pretty sure he wants to watch movies with you all day. How does that sound?" I danced around, giggling excitedly.

"ValVal!!!!!" I squealed and ran to the door when the bell rang. I opened it so see Val and one of his brothers. Farren I think. "Val!!!"

I couldn't help myself as I jumped on him, hugging him tightly. I was excited to watch movies and spend time with Val. Farren was laughing and shaking his head before he patted our heads.

"I'll leave you two now, Lana make sure to be braver then Val and walk him back home, okay?" My eyes widened before I nodded happily.

"Don't worry Farren!!!! Val will be safe with me around!" Val was looking aside as he listened to us and I pouted as I grabbed his hand before I leaned to him and whispered. "Don't be sad Val, I'll let you be the brave one instead if it makes you happy." Farren left and Val looked at me.

"It does make me happy. Thank you Lana." He said before hugging me tightly. I giggled and hugged back, I loved his hugs. He was like a big teddy bear but one with a heater inside it. So I could never get cold, as long as I was with him.

I grabbed his hand, running to the movies as he ran after me. We chose five movies, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Cars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Epic. We got blankets and pillows and sat on the couch after putting the first movie in. My dad brought snacks and then left us alone.

Val pulled me close and wrapped a blanket around us. I made sure my face stayed hidden since it felt hot and just cuddled up to him. He was warm and comfy after all. His arms went around me, loosely so I could move and get comfy. After I had, his arms tightened around me and he held me as we watched the movie.

Later, after all five movies and a couple more, plus all the snacks, we were fast asleep on the couch. My head on his chest and his body wrapped around mine, the blanket up to my chin. My dad came over after a while and chuckled before calling Val's parents and telling them Val could spend the night, since he was already asleep. They agreed and we slept just like that all night.