Chapter One

I sit by my bed, listening to my parents fighting. "She's your responsibility!" I hear my mom shout out at my dad. "I don't know what you want me to do. I work late, you know this. I don't know why you can't make her dinner. She's only 7, mac and cheese should do it. I have to get ready for work." My dad groans. I hear his drawer slam shut. "Because you were the one who wanted to adopt! I was happy when I had a miscarriage!" My heart pounded as my mother said this. "Linda, keep your voice down." My dad said through gritted teeth, "Besides. I wouldn't have asked to be in third shift if I didn't walk in on you banging some dude you found on the street!" My eyes started to water, my cheeks getting flustered as I tried to hold in the tears. I hide my face in my knees. The noise quiets down slowly as I look at my arms. Wham! My door flies open as my mother glares at me, "It's leftovers tonight. You know how to use the microwave, and don't touch my sandwich meat. I need that for work." She flies out of my room afterwards. My stomach growls, letting me know I can't ignore the fact that I need to eat. I sigh quietly, getting up. As I make leftover spaghetti there becomes a knock on my door. "Mom! Somebody is at the door!" I cry. Nothing. I knew I wasn't supposed to answer the door to just anybody, but getting kidnapped might sound better than living in this hellhole. I slowly open the door, seeing a boy my age waving, "Hi! I just moved here. I heard that a lot of people come here to play baseball, that's a good town to play in! In my opinion baseball is overrated but my mom says that she wants me to-" "Who the fuck is at the door (Y/N)?" My mom screams out. I push the kid further outside, calling back, "Nobody! Just me... Voice acting!" "Do you want me to take away your anime like I took away your detective shows?" My mom angrily calls back. I could feel tears forming again, "No mom. I'm sorry." I say through choked words. I quietly shut the door, walking outside. "Hi," I say, my eyes still watery, "I'm (Y/N), as you probably heard." The boy smiles, "Kuwata! Leon Kuwata!"