Chapter 6

“This is the last one,” said Ethan King. He placed the cherrywood sculpture of a dove on top of the counter with care and kissed his husband on the cheek.

Brad smiled and turned to survey their new shop, hands on his hips. Sculptures of various materials and sizes filled the small space and canvases splashed with thick acrylics sat propped against the walls, waiting to be displayed. “That was the easy part. Now we have to decide where to put everything.”

“It’s excitin! I knew you’d make this work. By this time next week, the place will be teemin with people wantin to buy your artwork. We might have to hire security guards for when they start fightin over it.” 

Brad shook his head at Ethan, his eyes smiling. “Maybe Amira would be up for a change of career — I hear she’s pretty handy in a fight.”

“Yeah. She’s not one to mess with, that’s for sure.” Ethan chuckled. “Did I tell you she’s gonna try and get here for the grand opening of  Truth is Beauty?”

“Cool. We can take her measurements for the uniform.”

“Okay,” Ethan said, arms folded across his chest.  “Time to be serious, Mr King. We have work to do.”

“Right, Mr Edwards. You polish the plinths and I’ll start hanging the paintings.”

“Deal.” 

Ethan turned up the volume of the radio and they set to work to a medley of soft rock classics.

A few minutes later the bell that hung over the door jingled and both men turned to see a lady entering the shop. She was tall and slim with long silver hair that cascaded majestically across her shoulders and down her back. 

“I’m sorry, we’re not open yet,” said Brad. The woman, indifferent to the objection, came farther into the shop and turned to face him with her sparkling blue eyes and huge friendly smile. She looked to be in her sixties, but it was difficult to tell - her timeless face exuded a youthful energy.

“Oh I’m sorry,” she said. Her voice was soft and soothing. “I just noticed the new sign outside and was curious to find out more. My name’s Abra.” She extended a hand gracefully to Brad.

“Brad. Pleased to meet you.” They shook hands and Ethan came over holding a promotional flyer. “Would you like to take one of these? It has the date and time of the openin party. You’re welcome to come along. Bring your friends!” As he handed her the flyer, Ethan felt a strong surge of energy pass between them. He examined the woman’s face. If she had felt it, she didn’t acknowledge it.

“I’ll try to make it,” Abra replied, scanning the room. “I love your work,” she continued, turning back to Brad. “Would I be a nuisance if I took a minute to look around?”

Brad paused for a second before replying. “No. No, not at all. Please, take your time.” 

The woman smiled and nodded courteously before wandering off to examine the artwork. Ethan and Brad exchanged a brief glance and a silent giggle before returning to their respective tasks. When her back was turned, Ethan examined her. He allowed his eyes to lose focus just a little and immediately perceived an explosion of rainbow-coloured light around her. He’d never seen anything like it in a person’s aura before — tiny sparkling coloured lights danced and swirled about her. And her head! It was drowned out by the glaringly bright white light that emanated from it in all directions.