Uh-oh and You're Mary Tyler Moore

Simon

Should I or shouldn't I? That's the question I asked myself all day until I got to English class, my last class of the day.

"What's with you?" Claudia, asked me. "You look much better with your glasses on, by the way. You need them, you know."

She didn't have to remind me; I had other things on my mind.

"Can you keep a secret?" I asked. I always trusted her before, so I had no reason to doubt her now...

...except this was a very, very big secret.

"You know I can," she said.

To be extra safe, I wrote my secret down on a piece of paper. It's not something I could say out loud.

Adam Durgin asked me out, I wrote.

WHAT!!! she immediately scribbled back.

Everything Adam said to me led me to believe he asked me out.

Like a date? she wrote back before I got the chance to write anything in response.

Nodding, my cheeks burned. No boy, or girl for that matter, had ever asked me out.

But, of all people...Adam Durgin?

How does he know you're gay? Claudia wrote.

I shrugged.

Is he gay?

I shrugged again.

"Maybe it's a trick," I whispered. "Maybe his friends put him up to it and he's going to do something to me."

"Like what?"

"I don't know," I said.

"I think you should go to find out," she said. "I'll go with you if you want."

Maybe I secretly liked him and never realized it.

At the very end of the school day, I accidentally "bumped" into Adam at his locker.

"I'll be there," I whispered to him. "Visitor's section." Although I didn't turn around, I felt his eyes on me as I headed down the hall.

Because I didn't want to bring any attention to myself by people wondering why I was there at a soccer game, Claudia and I sat in the visitors' section, all the way in the back of the bleachers.

"Hey, Durgin!" Claudia shouted, standing up as the game was about to begin. She pointed to me as I hid my head in my hands in embarrassment. Peeking through my fingers, I noticed him half-wave in our direction.

"He's cute, huh?" Claudia said. "I can see why girls like him. Look at him in those shorts."

Yeah, he looked damn good. Too perfect.

After the game, I waited in the bleachers, insisting that Claudia leave, assuring her that I could handle this situation by myself.