Alterations

Cruz

I met with Vincent and Ryan at Vincent's office and spoke with them about Lexie. I explained the situation to them, hoping it would benefit us. Vincent sat behind his desk as Ryan stood there with his arms across his chest.

"No," Vincent answered. I knew Vincent would disagree with my idea. He always does. "This is my family," Vincent told me.

"I agree with Vincent on this," Ryan added.

"I understand where you both are coming from with Lexie, but she already feels like she isn't a typical teenager. Lexie is a good kid, but if we can ease off a little, then the bodyguard can do his job," I reasoned.

Vincent sat in his chair and rubbed his chin as Ryan disagreed with my alterations to the bodyguard's job.

"No," Vincent said as I stood there.

I knew it would come to resistance from both, so I had a backup plan.

"Then you leave me no choice," I said as both watched me go over to the door and opened it to Lacey standing there. Vincent rose from his chair as Lacey entered his office.

Lacey walked over to the desk and stopped. Vincent gave me an annoyed look, knowing why Lacey was here, and Ryan sighed.

"Lacey," Vincent greeted her. He wasn't happy, and I didn't care. I needed this to work.

"I see we reached an impasse. I informed Cruz that if you both disagreed with his request, then he has my blessing," Lacey informed both.

Vincent gave her a disapproving look, knowing with Lacey that she had the final say.

"There is a reason I chose Ryan to watch the kids and established rules. It's for the children's protection," Vincent argued.

"We still protect the children, and Lexie will have a personal bodyguard. Our children are not a business contract or deal. You want to know why Lexie, Landon, and Valeria feel different; it's because you make them feel that way. You're so worried that someone will kidnap them you give them little freedom," Lacey told Vincent.

Vincent moved away from the desk to Lacey. Ryan and I stood there, watching them.

"Everything we went through with the kids, I don't want something to happen to them. You and the children are my everything," Vincent said.

"I know, but I also know the kids need some freedom. Vincent, we can't always protect them, but we can give them a chance to protect themselves. Ryan taught Emilia what to do, and she saved Lexie when she was six," Lacey reminded Vincent.

"I will not win this argument, will I?" Vincent asked.

"No," Lacey answered.

Vincent conceded and agreed with my new revisions to the bodyguard's job. After agreeing to the new changes, I left Vincent's office. I met with Thomas to explain the new arrangement, and he agreed with it. It was a step in the right direction.

I left Thomas and met with Sergio, who is sitting in a cafe, drinking an espresso. I joined him at a table and ordered a coffee.

"Well," Sergio asked.

"I altered the job requirements. Vincent and Ryan disagreed, but Lacey was the deciding factor," I explained. Sergio chuckled.

The server brought a cup of coffee to me, and Sergio slid a file across the table. I picked it up and flipped through the folder as I drank my coffee. After reading the contents of the record, I looked at him.

"The internet is easy to access, and people are disappearing without a trace. It's become a bigger issue with human trafficking," Sergio explained.