Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Mara approached the breakfast table in a determined mood the next morning. She had decided that she had to tell her parents at least part of the truth. Her mother slid eggs on to her plate and Mara nodded and smiled at her, even though she would really rather have some crunchy cereal. But all the chickens in the world would have to be dead before her mother agreed that cereal was a decent breakfast.

“Thanks Mami,” she said, then took a deep breath for courage and turned to her father. “So, Papi, when I was out at Chad’s cutting the grass the other day, there was a guy there that is going to rent the house. He talked to me a little bit about a walled garden in the back yard. I’m sure the Blanchard’s would be grateful for any improvements, as long as they don’t have to pay for them.”

Her father opened his mouth to say something, but she held up her hand.

“Just wait, Papi,” she said. “I told him I would have to work on it in the evenings and on the weekends because I have another job. He’s fine with that.”

He will have to be, she thought.

There was a long moment of silence while her father chewed and swallowed several bites. Butterflies whirled in Mara’s stomach. She really wanted to do this garden—and it would be essential to have his permission if she was going to use the company credit card for materials until they sold the sword and shield.

“I don’t like it…but if you will do this just in the evenings and on Saturdays, then I will allow it. I won’t have you working on Sundays,” he said firmly.

She grinned widely, even though he immediately said sternly, “This doesn’t change anything about your future career plans.”

She felt a little let down, but she managed to hide it. “Okay. One last job. My swan song,” she said, trying not to sound as bitter as she felt.

She gobbled down her eggs. She would tackle her new job with a vengeance. Maybe, just maybe, Mr. Keeton would let her leave early again.

The day went much more smoothly than the day before until about three o’clock. Mara had figured out the computer system and was entering information on new employees when a guy in the navy blue uniform of Keeton’s Trucking Company walked in. His name tag said “Roy.” He was young, but several years older than Mara. He would have been nice looking if it weren’t for the expression on his face—a leer described it best. 

“Hey, you’re new,” he said, with an oily smile, looking her up and down. “And beautiful. What’s your name?”

Mara tried not to cringe under his stare. It felt like he was mentally undressing her. She scooted her chair further under her desk and pretended interest in the mail lying there.

When he continued to stare at her, she huffed, “My name is Mara. And I have a boyfriend.”

“Oh, too bad. Who’s your boyfriend?”

“Chad Blanchard. We’ve been dating almost a year.”

“Well, the Blanchard’s moved, didn’t they? While Chad’s away, pretty girl can play.”

Mara was about to say something indignant when Mr. Keeton came out of his office

“Roy is here to collect his last pay check,” Mr. Keeton told Mara in a cool voice. “You’ll find it in the bottom drawer of Jean’s desk.”

Mr. Keeton stood beside Roy and waited while Mara retrieved the check. She slid it across the counter to him, intensely uncomfortable with the way Roy had eyed her as she walked toward them.